Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: test site for upgrades

That condition seems unusual though if the database being referenced is a backup copy of your live site where you typically login...

That said, because the backup copy of the site used an admin/includes/local/configure.php file, it would seem that if the database backed up wasn't the one referenced in that file, then it would explain why the password attempted didn't work...

Ok, I know that's confusing. This point of having four or in your case 6 files can get crazy...

Basically, the database that should be your testing database, should have been a backup of the database used on your live site. Revisit the above instructions to consider using whatever database is referenced in admin/includes/local/configure.php from your live site.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    That condition seems unusual though if the database being referenced is a backup copy of your live site where you typically login...

That said, because the backup copy of the site used an admin/includes/local/configure.php file, it would seem that if the database backed up wasn't the one referenced in that file, then it would explain why the password attempted didn't work...

Ok, I know that's confusing. This point of having four or in your case 6 files can get crazy...

Basically, the database that should be your testing database, should have been a backup of the database used on your live site. Revisit the above instructions to consider using whatever database is referenced in admin/includes/local/configure.php from your live site.
    Thank you for all your help. I can't get it fixed, even after deleting and starting again, so I am going to stick with my original database and just have a testsite for the files

Thanks again

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey80 View Post
    Thank you for all your help. I can't get it fixed, even after deleting and starting again, so I am going to stick with my original database and just have a testsite for the files

Thanks again
    If you're upgrading, you do not want to use your new files on your live site that is still accessing the database with an old fileset. It could cause database issues.

Plugin Contributions

If you're upgrading, you do not want to use your new files on your live site that is still accessing the database with an old fileset. It could cause database issues.
    Hi, I'm not upgrading my site at the moment, I just wanted to run a test site. I don't know what other options I have? :/

Plugin Contributions

Hi, I'm not upgrading my site at the moment, I just wanted to run a test site. I don't know what other options I have? :/
    Here's perhaps something that will work assuming the plugin is available to support your version of ZC.

Get mysql database backup. Install on your live site. Backup the database from there.

Your new temp site. Install it or point it to your test database, remove all of the tables from the temp database via myphpadmin (be absolutely sure you are in the correct database). Run zc_install to install a new store to your temp database. Install the plugin in your temp store. Transfer the file from the live store to your temp store. Restore that database to your temp store...

There are a number of other ways to accomplish this task of copying the live store database to your temp store database. At least that method doesn't really require you to know which was the *real* live database considering you know which one is your test store...

The only other thing of concern is if that admin/includes/local/configure.php defined a DB_PREFIX different than what you have in your temp store...

Plugin Contributions

i do not recommend running a test site on a live dataset. you are now not running a test site. you are running 2 live sites. as the data is the core component of the live v test site.

you have a multitude of options:

- keep on trying yourself.
    - have someone here do it.

it is possible your hosting plan only allows 1 database - which means you would need another hosting plan.

BUT, you need 2 databases if you want a testsite. more so than 2 sets of files.

good luck.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    i do not recommend running a test site on a live dataset. you are now not running a test site. you are running 2 live sites. as the data is the core component of the live v test site.

you have a multitude of options:

- keep on trying yourself.
    - have someone here do it.

it is possible your hosting plan only allows 1 database - which means you would need another hosting plan.

BUT, you need 2 databases if you want a testsite. more so than 2 sets of files.

good luck.
    Not entirely true, a DB_PREFIX can be used that would support two or more sets of datatables being on one server, sure it requires some data manipulation, but it is possible to have one database and more than one system reference the database with each being independently operational.

Plugin Contributions

Not entirely true, a DB_PREFIX can be used that would support two or more sets of datatables being on one server, sure it requires some data manipulation, but it is possible to have one database and more than one system reference the database with each being independently operational.
    ok. technically true.

but NOT a situation that i would recommend implementing. for anyone.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    ok. technically true.

but NOT a situation that i would recommend implementing. for anyone.

best.
    Amen, 100% agree. Just one more of those options in a time of need.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345