Plugin Contributions

Default help with category page product layout

I have V1.5.0 ZenCart. I was thinking of displaying the products on my category pages in a grid / gallery type view (almost like the pictures on my sub-category pages)... instead of one "line" per product, because I want more products to be seen per page. Discriptions aren't that important on THIS page to me.. What should I do? Is there a "built in" setting with my ZenCart 1.5.0. Some of my categories have over 100 different products in them, so you can see why I may want to display them in a grid type layout.... my website stageandtheaterlighting.com
    I found a plug-in, it's in a link at the bottom post here http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137592). It's called "Column Layout Grid for Product Listing". I don't know if it's the only plug-in available or not, it's for an older version of Zen Cart. I'm not really interested in installing a plug-in that I can't "back out of" easily, by just turning it off in the admin panel. do I need this plug-in, and if so is it compatible with zen cart 1.5.0?

A General Question... are the later versions of Zen Cart normally backwards compatible with the "older" plug-ins? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: help with category page product layout

That particular mod is what you want and works fine with version 1.5.0.

There's no way to know for sure which mods will work with the latest version. There's a thread here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183643

Plugin Contributions

thanks, but when I went to install Column Layout Grid for Product Listing (for v1.3.8), there are only two files that the plugin is supposed to override , /includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE/product_listing.php , and /includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/templates/tpl_modules_product_listing.php .. The 2nd file "tpl_modles_product_listing.php" doesn't exist on in my template,, or any of the templates for that matter. So what do I do now? Thanks!!
    PS... I installed "colums instead of rows SNAF" (it is designed just for V1.5.0) last week. It installed perfectly, the admin additions were there are responded, etc. but when I looked at the products page. what it did was this.. let's say I had it set to 3 or 4 colums per row.. well,, the first row was correct.. and maybe the 2nd row,, depending on the page.. and then I may have ONE per row,, then TWO on the next row, then ONE,, then ONE, etc. etc.. (mostly ONES). I was supid and didn't try it on the default green template before I uninstalled it, but I guess it doesn't matter anyway because If it doesn't work on my template I didn't want to use it anyway.. I noticed that on my aBagon red template, there are some CSS things that are different than on the green default, so I would Imagine that had something to do with it, but I don't know for sure because I really don't know what I am doing. but anyway, any help with me getting Columns instead of rows would be GREATLY appreciated.. :)

Plugin Contributions

The template file you mentioned would go in includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/templates.

I haven't used SNAF, so I can't help there.

Plugin Contributions

yes, that's what I am talking about. the instructions say that file is going to be overwritten, but I don't have that file to be overwritten to... in other words, if I send that file over, it will be a NEW file. will it work like that?,, or is that a file that used to be in the older version of zen, and the new template will not even be looking for it? I don't mind trying it, but I know this install has a sql upload as well, and I'm not so sure I can uninstall it if it doesn't work.... sorry to be a pain, but I don't know very much about this, and the website is working now and I don't want to screw it up.. is there something that I am missing here that is very obvious?? I wouldn't doubt it.. haha.. Thanks!!!

Plugin Contributions

No if that file doesn't exist in your template then it won't be 'overwriten' as such.

What happens is that the new version of that file is written into that position. If there is a file already there then it will be "over written". If there is not a file already there the file will just be "written" .

Whether there is a file already in that position depends on your template. If there is a file in that position then it suggests that your template has made some changes to that file. In which case it is important to be careful and merge the files because you want to have the changes that are in your template and the changes that are in SNAF .

Plugin Contributions

Thanks but I got SNAF to work and it looks great, so no need for that other plugin.. Thanks SNAF!!! I have noticed that some threads are closed.. should I close this thread (I don't need it anymore) ? and if so, how do I do that?? Thanks