Plugin Contributions

Default Offer flat rate for 1 item...?

Hello,
    I have had a look around but am still unsure...

I charge for shipping based on amount purchased. However, I have a couple of items where I want ONLY a flat rate option for the product.
    Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
    A

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Offer flat rate for 1 item...?

What shipping modules do you currently have as ACTIVE?
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I currently have zones turned on with 4 different zones. I have just turned on flat rate to see if there were settings/ options to assign it to a product but there arent. So currently I have those 2 turned on.

Plugin Contributions

There may be a way for your FLAT module to "test" if the product is in the cart, and to enable the module if that product is in the cart...

... but what if it is in the cart with a whole load of other products?

What will you do about shipping then?

As the act of shipping goods is a PRACTICAL event (someone packs the goods, and arranges for them to be delivered), what if you just use a fixed attribute that adds the shipping price to that product?

Then, if it gets put into the cart, its shipping cost is accounted for. Your despatch staff just need to be told it needs to be shipped differently from the rest of the products,
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

The items that are getting charged this are the jewellery items rather than the supplies so no matter what they will incur this charge as they are packaged in little boxes etc so when someone buys supplies and jewellery, they are charged £1 per jewellery item and then the supplies are a much cheaper rate. Otherwise they would get charged £.50 for a necklace as my postage is charged on cost. I was doing it when i was using paypal buttons on my current site.

Hope this makes sense

"what if you just use a fixed attribute that adds the shipping price to that product?
    Then, if it gets put into the cart, its shipping cost is accounted for. Your despatch staff just need to be told it needs to be shipped differently from the rest of the products,"

Would this mean that I set up free shipping on this item then and add money onto the price? Surely that would mean that I have the same problem of assigning free postage to just a single item? Which is already the issue I am having?

A

Plugin Contributions

You could describe it in the attribute as a "handling fee" or a "shipping surcharge", and give a good reason WHY the surcharge is being applied.

Web-shoppers HATE surprises, or extra costs built into the logistics that give the impression that they are being "fleeced" for profit motives.

You could simply build the cost of the shipping into the products' prices, so if an item cost $20, then raise the price to $21. The customer does not need to know how you later apportion the costs... as long as the item is competitively priced, and you are recouping the additional charge.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hello,
    If I do the latter of your points, adding the amount onto the item, how do i then actually assign it as a free postage for that product?

Thanks
    A

Plugin Contributions

I also need a separate shipping for the jewellery to make it cheaper for the customer, however if I put free shipping but add the cost onto the item, people from other countries will be buying a product with uk priced shipping which will lose me money. So the free shipping route will not work. I really need to just assign a flat rate to the jewellery items. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
    A

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to delete my post.
    Last edited by Bewitching; 20 Aug 2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Wrong thread