Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade missing product descriptions on Admin, not site - Fonts a bit odd

Don't forget to change both admin and catalog configure files and both admin and catalog english.php files. May sound dumb to have to remind folks of that but I finally realized that I had an admin english file to edit too. Maybe I'm just slow this morning......

Thanks Dr. Byte, again!
    The full-time Zen Cart Guru. WizTech4ZC.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade missing product descriptions on Admin, not site - Fonts a bit odd

after I made the changes, I check the site and everything was okay. Now it's down for maintenance and changing the setting in admin does not affect that. Any ideas?

The database setting does say false.
    Last edited by delia; 10 May 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: additional info

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

That sounds like it's pointing to the wrong database. ie: your DB_XXXXX settings in your admin configure.php have different settings than your non-admin configure.php

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I was actually on the road when I posted the other day and have finally gotten time to report back.. I have to praise you and shamefacedly admit that the problem was exactly that, though I had figured it out by the time you posted. Thanks once again!

Plugin Contributions

I too am having the problem with disappearing product descriptions. Perhaps I have a few more clues. When I copy the html product description from the current product (source code is easiest), I can then paste that into the source code view of CK Editor, and save any changes. Once text is "manually" restored and saved, I can go back in to THIS record and the description is there. I can edit and save without problem. If I go in to a product where there is no product description displaying, and change something unrelated to the description - e.g. sort order - it saves this blank description and my description is lost.

It is as if the catalog display "sees" the description but the admin edit can't find it . . . let me check something that might have triggered some a revelation . . . .

Back soon! Cheers, Seán
    Sean M - Sydney, Australia

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Right. Those are the same symptoms these other folks are talking about.
    And it's caused by mismatched character sets, as described earlier. And/or the use of an older PHP version not compatible with the version of Zen Cart being used.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

OK, a bit of sleuthing, and this might help pointing someone in the right direction.

I just fixed another issue where my products couldn't be activated or de-activated in Admin. The fix for which ( had something to do with products that were linked to more than one category. So super sleuth that I am (and that is a joke) I looked at some different products that had links to more than one category. NONE of those multi-category products that I looked at, had product descriptions showing up in the edit product mode.

On the other hand, several of the single category products, did have product descriptions intact - unfortunately not ALL single category products had descriptions, because that would make this far too easy ;)

STRIKE THAT . . . ARRRRGH! Some multi-category products do actually have product descriptions, but I still think this MIGHT somehow be part of the issue. I looked at a bunch of multi-category products in our category "necklaces" and they had no product descriptions. However I went to the multi-category products in "pearls" and almost all had descriptions. While I then went back to necklaces and was able to find a pearl necklace that had product description (an exception in that category?), the disappearing product descriptions SEEM to be more likely in some categories than in others.

Is this making any sense at all?

I did try to look at categories in their primary categories versus their linked categories, but couldn't find a consistent rule there either.

I feel strangely drawn to "admin/includes/modules" but not sure where to go once I get there. LOL. Does anyone have a Ouija board?

Many thanks for those of you than managed to read this and have it makes sense . . . Cheers, Seán

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Got any examples of specific products we can view on your storefront which exhibit these problems during your admin viewing?
    And, please click Reply below and answer all the questions in the Posting Tips section.

Plugin Contributions

Dr B,

OK I no longer see ANY patterns . . . when I really sought out items with descriptions and items without descriptions, I found that they were scattered, and perhaps there is actually no correlation between single/multi-category and missing descriptions. Nevertheless, since I collected this information I've included examples of each with/without descrition and with single vs. multi-category items.

Perhaps you can see something that I am missing?

Single Category, WITH description
    http://talismanjewellery.com.au/TJOn...ces/braveheart
    http://talismanjewellery.com.au/TJOn...e-lis-necklace

Single Category, missing description
    http://talismanjewellery.com.au/TJOn...acier-necklace
    http://talismanjewellery.com.au/TJOn...-boho-necklace

Multi-Category, WITH description
    http://talismanjewellery.com.au/TJOn...pearl-necklace
    http://talismanjewellery.com.au/TJOn...-pendant-rings

Multi-Category, missing description
    http://talismanjewellery.com.au/TJOn...ces/peace-baby
    http://talismanjewellery.com.au/TJOn...whisper-pearls

Hope this helps others, as this is a real brain cell killer for me. I look forward to your insights Dr B!

Cheers, Seán

Plugin Contributions

I'm seeing this same issue appear on multiple threads, and just came across one suggesting that this could be a browser rather than a ZC issue, so attempted to look at these product description in Firefox and then IE9. This made no difference. The items that had missing descriptions in Chrome also had missing descriptions in Firefox and IE9 - same for those WITH product descriptions - consistent across browsers. I'll keep working on this . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast