Plugin Contributions

Default enable SSL or TLS authentication for email

Email Error: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed: clientname######################
    Last week, all of a sudden, I kept receiving that error message while emailing from the admin for the whole day. Then the emails went through ok the next day. But I again received that error today.

My host told me that I needed to enable SSL or TLS authentication in my script.

I'm not sure about enabling SSL/TLS authentification but found the following info in the troubleshooting email problems:

... Mail requires that your email communications occur over a secure channel, which means you need to send on port 465 or 587, and with SSL/TLS. The latest version of Zen Cart supports this by using the following settings: Email Transport: SMTPAUTH
    Email Linefeeds: LF
    SMTP Username: your mail username
    SMTP Password: your mail password
    SMTP Host: smtp.yourdomain.com
    SMTP Port 465 or 587
    My port used to be 26. I changed it to port 465 and the emails now go through without any error message. But is this safe and the best option?

Another question is that my SMTP Host in the admin is currently mail.mydomain.com, should it be changed to smtp.mydomain.com?

Please advise

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: enable SSL or TLS authentication for email

I'm not sure I understand your questions.

If you only changed the port from 26 to 465, that's fine ... that's needed by your mailserver setup.
    And as far as the SMTP Host is concerned, you must use whatever address your host gives you to point to the right server where Zen Cart must connect in order to send emails. It could be "fred123.somedomain.com" if that's what they called it. Use what they tell you.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: enable SSL or TLS authentication for email

Thanks for confirming port 465 is fine.

They just advised to use smtp or smtpout, none of which work. So I will simply keep using mail, since now it works fine as is.