Plugin Contributions

Default Can I Change Gift Certs to another name?

My shoppe http://www.shop.sabbykatdesigns.com Sells my own graphic art designs to other artists who need such pieces for their own art projects.

The issue that we believe we will run into is pricing. Because we want to keep prices lower, so that people get more for less, and because we are using Paypal as our only payment source, we have had to make some decisions regarding payment options between their regular business payment processing ($.30+2.9% per transaction), and the microtransactions payment processing ($.05 +$.05 per transaction; which is really only worth while if the majority of your sales will be under $10.00 each).

The way to remedy this, we believe is to get customers to pay for more items with each purchase. Rather than do this, mostly because I feel uncomfortable pushing my products on someone before they're ready to buy it on their own choice, We've decided to create a program called SabbyKash (a play on the name of our art shoppe).

Basically, what we would do is this:
    Sell customers gift certificates that are instead called SabbyKash. SabbyKash sells at a rate of $.01 per unit. (On a base 100 system where one SabbyKash is equal to one penny.) we then plan to upsell our SabbyKash by giving clients free SabbyKash when they purchase set amounts as seen on the website SabbyKash

I've tested most of it out, and the plan works great. We simply go through all SabbyKash purchases then manually distribute the bonus SabbyKash through the email function.

BUT...cosmetically, it's not working.
    1. We have to use the Category "Gift Certificate"
    2. We have to use the Model "gift_cert" (I've used the correct one, just can't remember it at the moment).
    3. My attributes lable is "Gift Certificate"

Now, does anyone know if there is a way to clean these up so that they read "SabbyKash" and don't break the Gift Certificate distribution coding? Would we be better off completely changing the gift certificate feature to a SabbyKash feature through the core coding? I'm not sure where to go from here because I don't want to break the GV program code and delivery...

Thanks for the time!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I Change Gift Certs to another name?

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=38
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=39

Generally, what you name things doesn't interfere with the function.

When you use the DTK to search for gift certificate, you'll get a list of files containing that string. The ones you need to edit are the ones which include gift certificate in a define, like this one on line 51 in includes/languages/english.php:

Line #51 : define('TEXT_GV_NAME','Gift Certificate');

Plugin Contributions

Thanks so much for the help! Your time and knowledge are valuable, and I appreciate you sharing both with me on this subject.

I'm afraid to touch the language files until I know what I can do with the category name at the very least. Even if I just EZ link the page and call it SabbyKash then put it in my header bar, when they're on the page, they are going to see the category name in the cookie crumbs. I guess I could consider turning that off too...

From the way the ZC FAQ on Gift Certificates explains creating them (and all the posts related to them), I am under the impression that those instuctions have to be followed to the letter.

I was thinking that all the language changes will do little good if I have to leave the category as is?

Again, thanks alot for the help, I'll look into these changes and post back. =)

Plugin Contributions

It's possible I don't understand, but you can change any category name in Admin - Catalog - Categories/Products. Select the Gift Certificates category and click on the 'E' button.

Plugin Contributions

Like taking your first head-first dive into a swimming pool, or riding a bicycle without training wheels, editing a language define file can seem daunting.

But it is actually very simple, and (if you follow some simple backup rules) you can't damage anything.

The first thing you need to do is use a proper FTP program. A FTP program is just a way of establishing a connection between your remote server (where your website lives), and your home computer. FTP means "File Transfer Protocol", so FTP allows you to move files from your server to your machine at home, and to move them the other way too.

In the same way that you can shift files around on your home computer, so too can you shift files from ANOTHER computer to your home machine.

If you use word processing on your home computer (MS Word), when you type up a document and SAVE it, you are using an "internal" FTP system, because when you save that doc, you are prompted to put it somewhere... You will choose an appropriate folder, and save your document to that folder. Later, if you want to open that doc, you just "navigate" to the folder where it is saved, and you open it.

If you can do that, you can also use FTP. The principle is the same.

The key is to know WHERE to save files (just like with MS Word).

In Zencart, the LANGUAGE files are all in a folder called "languages", which is quite sensible, don't you think?

So, you need to NAVIGATE to that folder on your server, and then FIND the file(s) that need editing, and then transfer a copy of the file to your home computer (using FTP).

When you have a copy on your home machine, you can safely make edits to it as it's just a copy. The original remains on the server, and functions just as it did before.

When you have edited the copy, and want to send it back to the server, you need to "safeguard" the original file, so that if the edited copy has mistakes, you can delete it, and "restore" the original. And we ALL make mistakes when editing, so we ALL do what's necessary to "safeguard" the original.

When you are ready to send the file back to the server, it must occupy the same location you took it from, if you are editing the over-ride version. Things are a bit different if you have no over-ride version - in which case your edited copy BECOMES the over-ride version.

There is a LOT of information and tutorials that explain the over-ride principle, so I won't go into that here. You should learn a bit about over-rides and CUSTOM files before you edit CORE files.

In any event, if you have to send the file to a location where it REPLACES the original file, all you do is RE-NAME the original file on the server from xxxxxx.php to xxxxxx.bak

When you load your edited file, it assumes the functions of the original (now disabled because of the different filename extension - bak).

If your site fails to work after your edit, then it's just a case of DELETING your edited copy off the server, and RE-NAMING xxxxxx.bak to xxxxxx.php

Assuming you now know how the over-ride system works, you will now boldly go ahead with your edits.

To edit PHP files safely, you need what is known as a PLAIN TEXT EDITOR. This is simply a program that does not "format" the text you are editing. MSWord for example, will automatically "format" text when you use that program. It will apply styles to the font, for example. when editing computer code, you cannot have the editor do any of this stuff. PHP is plain text, and must stay that way.

We use a neat little code editor called CRIMSON EDITOR which is free software. There are others, such as notepad++. See that I say notepad++ ... NOT notepad. The "notepad" that is probably in your home computer is not sufficiently "plain", so you shouldn't use that.

SO... now you have an understanding of:

1. FTP
    2. PLAIN TEXT EDITING
    3. THE NEED TO SAFEGUARD ORIGINALS
    4. THE OVERRIDE SYSTEM

In almost ALL cases, editing a language define involves making changes to an appropriate line of PHP that looks like this:

define('TEXT_GV_NAME','Gift Certificate');

Let's look at how this would appear when we open it in CRIMSON EDITOR:

PHP Code:
      define('TEXT_GV_NAME','Gift Certificate'); 
    Here's the edit you will make:

define('TEXT_GV_NAME','Sabbykash');

And in CRIMSON EDITOR it will look like this:

PHP Code:
      define('TEXT_GV_NAME','Sabbykash'); 
    Now, just follow the tutorials that Steve pointed you to, and go ahead and try your edits...
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Note: there are two defines, one for singular and one for plural use:
    define('TEXT_GV_NAME','Gift Certificate');
    define('TEXT_GV_NAMES','Gift Certificates');
    Those are then used by other defines so that you have the least number of changes needed ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!