Quote Originally Posted by thecounsil View Post
Is there anyway to use the backup files I have to restore the store front..
Err, well yes. That is the entire point of making backups.

and by backup I mean everything that is not related to the SQL
And by backups, we generally mean everything that could possibly get corrupted, lost, modified or destroyed, *including* the SQL database.

that you can only access through the host, or that I think is what you can only access through their website.
There are a number of ways to backup SQL data, the most used (and recommended) method being via phpmyadmin, but cPanel also has its own tools that allow you to do this.
I'm somewhat confused about your terminology though ("what you can only access through their website"), because how else does one make *any* backup if not through the site that the files or data is being hosted on?

Now to get my blog back, which is more important to me right now than the store but both need to be up and running.
I seem to recall that you were using WordPress for your blog? Has this been left as long between updates as your ZenCart installation was? If so, you've got double the problems. Wordpress is more notorious for being hacked than zencart, so this will also need to be checked for hackers files, upgraded, and restored from backups. Oh, and guess what, Wordpress also makes extensive use of SQL, much like zencart does, so if you don't have a backup of the ZenCart database I have to assume you don't have a backup of your WP database either.

That's the bad news.... I can however provide you with a little hope that all is not lost (perhaps). While is is quite possible that your host doesn't keep a backup of their users /home/ files (I shall refrain from saying what I think about such host), they *should* have a a *series* of regular backups of all of the SQL databases. I won't go into details, but the odds are extremely high (99.99%) that their entire server(s) are dependent on these in one way or another, which means if they don't back these up they are screwing themselves over big time, and *when* one of the drives fail (not *if*) they'll never be able to recover their own systems.. such a failure will probably put them out of business. I hope no host is *that* stupidly unprofessional.

Anyway, assuming they do have these backups, they could restore your database(s) to sometime before the hack. They are under no obligation to do this for you though, so you can expect to pay... It could take them considerable time to locate, extract, and restore the files specific to you .. in fact it could take them a lot longer to do this whan it could to restore their *entire* system (which they won't do for a single user, because such backups will affect *all* of their users, and themselves.

Nonetheless, this is a possibilty for you.

As for the backup of your *files* (the stuff in your home directory), which is most of what your 'store front' consists of, these are not essential for their servers operation, so as stated, they may not even have these backed up, and if you don't either, then this makes your question a moot point, and you have no option than to start afresh.

Now for more bad news..... A programs files, and the SQL database they use are intrinsically linked, and should never ever be backup up (or restored) separately. Attempting to do so is just asking for problems. You'll end up finding some parts of the system may work, while other parts fail miserably. This is going to be true for both your zencart system and your wordpress system.

Now a little more good news. *We* have no way of knowing exactly what files (or database) have been modified (or accidentally corrupted). It is possible that only one or two relatively minor things have actually been affected, and a *skilled* professional could take a look at things, identify these minor issues (even though the consequences may be major) and actually *fix* them for you and you'll have lost nothing. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DO THIS WITHOUT ACCESS TO YOU SITE though, so asking questions about it is simply wasting *everyones* time.

This same professional may end up spending several hours trying to recover for you, before coming to the conclusion that recovery simply isn't possible, which is going to leave you with a large bill with nothing really productive in return (from your perspective). So this is a bit of a gamble.

My gut feeling is telling me that even if you had good/current backups of everything *you* will still have troubles trying to restore things yourself, so on this basis, I'd be inclined to suggest you seek some kind of expert help for a preliminary inspection of your site to get some idea how much (or how little) damage has actually been done.
(Don't ask your host, this isn't their area of expertise).

Having said that, you may choose to decide that your store and blog isn't quite as valuable as you think it is, and on this basis, cut your losses, treat this entire thing as a bad experience (which you will hopefully learn from), and start afresh using the latest version of the software that you are using, because no matter what, even if recovery is possible you will *still* need to upgrade it all in order to prevent further hacks.

I seriously and honestly beleive that this thread now be closed, because as much as we'd like, there isn't anything more that anyone can *say* to help you.

Your options are seek professional help (with your site), or start afresh.

Cheers
Rod