Plugin Contributions

Default Paypal Express Checkout 10417 error; only from Customers using Pay-pal account to pay

Good Morning from New Zealand...

I have just started using Paypal Express Checkout. It works fine if customers dont login into their paypal account and pay (ie they pay with credit card and not their pay-pal account) however if they pay with their pay-pal account, they get redirected to my site and shown a 10417 error.

I see that pay-pal and many of the posts on the forum say that this relates to the pay-pal account having insufficient funds or being linked to an invalid card. However I have tested this with my own credit card and when I choose to pay without loging into my pay-pal account it works, but if I choose to pay with my account it doesn't and gives me the 10417 error (my account uses the same credit card).

Having read over many posts here (and a few on the o-commerce forum also) it appears that the error could be caused by a mis-match of the address being passed to pay-pal from Zen-cart and the address on the customers pay-pal account.

On the o-commerce site it was suggested the problem could be fixed by removing the code that passes the address details to pay-pal - can this be done in Zen-cart and would it be safe/secure?

Regards,

Mike.

Ps...I use FEC (but have turned it off as someone suggested this may be the cause of the problem) and easy sign up. Being based in New Zealand, I don't have a need to collect the customers State (we only sell within New Zealand) - however Paypal seems to require this information - perhaps this is causing the mismatch in the address details.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal Express Checkout 10417 error; only from Customers using Pay-pal account to

Quote Originally Posted by mikecnz View Post
    Being based in New Zealand, I don't have a need to collect the customers State (we only sell within New Zealand) - however Paypal seems to require this information - perhaps this is causing the mismatch in the address details.
    Worth testing providing a full address.

Also worth logging a ticket at www.paypal.com/mts and asking them for the exact reason why they're triggering the 10417 with *your* specific transactions.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.