Plugin Contributions

help question Problem with accepting orders from NY addressed via Paypal Express Checkout

I have received a couple of complaints from my clients located in NY that they are unable to place orders via Paypal Express Checkout on my store. The following error is shown:

The address information you entered does not appear to be valid or cannot be matched. Please select or add a different address and try again. (10736)

My understanding is that Paypal validates the city / state / country before the customer is redirected to the payment page. The problem with NY addresses is that the City and the State is the same (New York).

I tried creating accounts with different permutations / combinations using the following sample address (which is a genuine address) but Paypal refuses to accept "New York" as the city and keeps showing the above error message.

New York Times
    4 New York Plaza,
    New York,
    NY 10004
    United States

I then made changes in the admin and made the city non-mandatory (minimum value = 0). Then I created an account with the same address above with "NY" as the state but city field kept blank. This time the Paypal order page was displayed without any error message. So this makes it certain that the problem is because Paypal refuses to recognize NY as a city.

This problem is only specific to Paypal. There is no problem with

I am sure other users must also have faced this problem for NY addresses. Is there a simple workaround to this problem?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
    Harshil Zaveri
    Store: http://www.starruby.in/store

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem with accepting orders from NY addressed via Paypal Express Checkout

Thank you very much for identifying this problem. I also came across this issue on a client's site.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem with accepting orders from NY addressed via Paypal Express Checkout

Quote Originally Posted by leoplaw View Post
    Thank you very much for identifying this problem. I also came across this issue on a client's site.
    Did you find any solution to this problem? I could not find one yet.

Regards,
    Harshil