Plugin Contributions

Default Template Too Wide. Please Help!

I just installed a template on my zencart. The template is just a tad bit too wide though. I now have a right and left browser scroll bar at the bottom of the page, whereas it fits my monitor perfectly with the classic template. It doesn't scroll over to the right TOO much, but it's enough that it bothers me. Is there any way that this can be fixed? If so, how would I go about doing that? My apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm new to zen cart. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated though. Thank you!

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Template Too Wide. Please Help!

If you tell us where you site is, then we can visit it and make some suggestions.

In MOST cases, width is controlled in your CSS files (stylesheets).

IF however, you bought a commercial template, these SOMETIMES are "doctored", and the width is no longer set in the stylesheets.

Either way, let us see your site.

Plugin Contributions

warclubrecords.com/store

I thought it was because my top banner was too big, so I removed it but the width of the template was still the same, so I put the banner back on. Other than that, I don't know why it's wide. Again, it's not too wide, but it's enough that it bothers me just having the right and left scroll bar.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

You have a Template Monster template. And it is not clear how that one controls WIDTH, because it has a lot of strange things happening.

Unfortunately, these templates cause BIG headaches, because they do not follow standard zencart principles.

I don't have time to try to unpick how they have set up the width parameters. You best go back to the people who sold it to you and ask them for help.

MOST helpers on the forum will advise you NOT to use Template Monster templates, because they are very difficult to alter.

So, go back to template monster and pose your question to them.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, thank you!

Plugin Contributions

Your site looks perfect in my screen, with about a 3 1/2 inch margin on each side. So it might also be a factor of your screen and resolution. The Classic template is only a narrow 750px wide, so if it fits perfect in your screen I wonder what you're using. The two TM templates I have any experience with (basically none) do work and fit the screen.

BTW, did the demo template at TM fit your screen? If it did, and it now does not, it likely may be something you inadvertently caused, possibly a photo.

TM templates can look nice but, yes, few here would know how to help as hardly anyone has real experience with them. Plus I suppose it's only right that the people who got paid do the help.

sph
    www.prommart.com
    Last edited by SPH; 30 Apr 2012 at 02:04 AM.

Plugin Contributions

No, the demo template just barely scrolls over to the right on my screen as well. It might just be because I don't have a particularly large monitor. I can't remember how big my monitor is (I bought my monitor about 6 years ago). I think it's either 17 or 19 inch. My resolution is set at 1024x768. But, I don't have a problem with just about any of the other templates I checked out. They all fit... except this one. So, it must be the template. Being new to zen cart, I didn't know that template monster templates were made so differently.

It's okay though. As I said before, the scroll is almost not even worth mentioning. The template seems to be just about maybe a half an inch too wide. There's no information contained in that area that one would otherwise need to see. It's just a personal annoyance. That's all. If it looks perfect on your screen (and I'm assuming that you have a bigger monitor than I am using... much like everyone else on the planet LOL!), then I think it will be alright. Thanks everyone!

Plugin Contributions

Templates are getting wider now, as screens are getting wider and resolutions are getting bigger. At your resolution some of my fixed-width templates set at about 1000px can, or are very close to, scrolling.

You might take a look at your site in a friend's computer, or at a store. Your TM template works. Looking good on computer screens is what TM is all about.

sph
    www.prommart.com
    Last edited by SPH; 30 Apr 2012 at 03:26 AM.

Plugin Contributions

PS: I just noticed that your TM template is wider than your WP homepage. So yes, your TM template looks like a newer, wider one. You might eventually figure out how to narrow it to look good in your screen; but it will be a little smaller and perhaps not as nice in everyone else's screen.

PPSS: I just set my resolution to yours. Your WP homepage has maybe a half inch or little more margin on each side of my screen. Your TM tempate fills my screen side to side, but no scroll bar. So looks like a combination of resolution and monitor?

Try looking at in in other computers.

sph
    Last edited by SPH; 30 Apr 2012 at 03:45 AM.