Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Would like to create a customer header/side navigation

I have been working on a website in Zencart for some time now, and have been trying to figure out how to duplicate my design into Zencart, but am having a really hard time figuring it out. What I want to do is set up navigation around my centered logo, including a single drop down. With my side navigation, I have spent a tremendous amount of time getting the scripts and all that to work together(with a lot of outside help), and want to try and use it vs, the navigation that is included with Zencart. I think that where my problem lies is in the tpl_header.php file for the links around the logo, and no idea on the left side navigation.

Here is an example of what I want it to look like(as far as the header area and left side navigation)when it is done:

http://www.shopeaglered.com/practice3.htm

And a link to where I am at with the Zencart edits.

http://www.shopeaglered.com/zencart

Any help that can be given would be great. If I can make these edits I can really start going gang busters on the store to get it up and running. Thanks ahead of time for anyone that can help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Would like to create a customer header/side navigation

I guess I have to ask - why don't you want to use Zencart's navigation, which, far as I can see, is perfedtly capable of doing what you want to do.

Plugin Contributions

I don't know how to make it work and look the way I want it to. I suppose the side navigation might be possible with some css color changes, but its the header navigation that I can not get to even be anywhere close to how I want it to work. The navigation I am refering to, is the links/drop down to the left and right of the eagle logo. Does it require over rides to have there? Is it simply adding html to the right place(and where would that place be I might ask)? I truly am a newbie to this stuff, and have no clue how to work in php. Any insight would potentially help, as I would like to get this project over and done with. Thanks for your response.

Plugin Contributions

The way I would do that would be to edit tpl_header.php to move the navEZPagesTop up to where navMain is and use the EZ pages function to add those links.

The sidebox stuff might require a mod like this one: http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1

I'm not suggesting this would be easy, but it's doable and you'll learn a lot about Zencart in the process.

Plugin Contributions

Already lost me. How do I move stuff up in tpl_header? I think I might be able to figure out the EZ pages part, but I suppose I am a bit intimidated by the tpl file. I will check out the side box mod, and see what there is to see. Would you be willing to keep helping me with this? I appreciate your insight, I really do.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

To be honest, your HTM site's navigation is perhaps one of the most IRRITATING I have used in ages. It dances about all over the place, is impossible to menu-select, and is extremely confusing. After playing the equivalent of screen pinball for three minutes, I gave up.

It may be a "geek-satisfier", but it is certainly not very user-friendly.

(geek-satisfier = a bit of code that makes a computer-nerd feel good about himself and how clever he is, but serves no useful purpose to the rest of humanity).

Plugin Contributions

The template files are pretty well commented. In tpl_header.php, if you Cut everything between

<!--bof-header ezpage links--> and
    <!--eof-header ezpage links-->

and Paste it between the <!--bof-navigation display--> and <!--eof-navigation display--> comments, replacing what's there, it will place the EZ pages header at the top of the page.

Plugin Contributions

To stevesh, thank you very much for your help. I will try it tonight or tomorrow when I get home from work. It was very informative. To fairestcape, while your information is informative, it is not as constructive. If you can give me more detailed, constructive criticism, I would be happy to take it to the customer and try and work on the issues and improve it for the "rest of humanity". I would enjoy any more information either one of you would like to offer, or anyone else for that matter that happens to read this post and want to be some constructive two cents in. Thanks again.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

My comments are "brutal" yes... but actually constructive too.

I am verbalising to you what probably no other visitor will do. People will not write to you telling you how awkward your site is... they will just leave.

Now... when I visited your site, I was presented with a navigation system that was extremely confusing, and frustrating to use.

It is likely a lot of other people will have the same experience.

So my constructive suggestion is: simplify your category options, and make the navigation easier to use.

Whether you do so or not... well, I don't really mind.

Plugin Contributions

I will suggest it to the customer. I set it up the way he wanted it, and always have tried to function under the customer is always right. As you have so brutally pointed out, it seems the customer may not always be right. Thank you again for your criticism and opinion. Is it the side navigation you have issue with or both the header nav and the side nav? Category options lead me to believe you mean just the side navigation, but I am wanting further clarification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast