Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: localhost and website add problem

Unless you intend to do some serious "offline" work, and wish to TEST your modifications, there is no real need to install on a LOCAL machine.
    To go off-topic somewhat, I would argue a local test server should be seen as absolutely essential to test ALL modifications thoroughly, however minor, before uploading to the live one. Additionally its far easier to search for code locally, do modification merges etc.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

We have a dedicated DEV zone on a web server, remotely hosted, set up under all indentical conditions to our live hosting.

Trouble with LOCAL (XAMPP) is that it does not precisely mirror a live webserver.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Trouble with LOCAL (XAMPP) is that it does not precisely mirror a live webserver.
    Agreed. When I get an odd problem I use a real test webserver. Still, I think the useability of a local install as regards to finding stuff is a big advantage for both new users and semi-experienced users.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Moderator comment: Let's try to stay on-topic. If you want to debate or praise the merits of a localhost setup, take it to a more appropriate place, instead of hijacking someone's request for help with a technical problem.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123