Plugin Contributions

Default Trying to Make Multiple Changes to A New Cart

I'm trying to set up a new shopping cart for a digital bookstore. I've set up several carts before, but my client wants something different for this one. I've seen it done, but don't know how to do it myself. So if anyone could please help me, I'd be extremely grateful.

Can we change the Manufacturers' category name to Authors, and where would I make the change?

I created categories--and subcategories within them--and did a left sidebar. That part works fine. But how can I get the subcategories to always appear, and not collapse whenever another category is clicked? Also, since I set up a sidebar for the categories, I don't need them to also show up just beneath the header. How can I get rid of those?

The book descriptions show up nicely on the individual product pages, but they don't show up properly on the All Products page. What I want to do is have the book cover on the left side, and the description (in larger text) on the right. I'm only doing one product per line, so there's plenty of room.

I also want to have the same thing...the book cover and the description...right on the index page. Right now I have it set up to show New Products under the header, but it's only showing the cover photo and the link. Can I set it up to also show the description to the right of the cover image?

Above the New Products section on the index page, I'd love to set up one of those sliding banner slideshows to showcase book covers. That script wasn't included in the version of ZenCart that I downloaded...where can I find that code? I presume that I need to add it in the Define Pages / Define Main Page. Also, is it possible to add two slideshows, side by side, to randomly showcase two books at once? Just one small cover in the middle of the page will look a little odd, but two side by side will look a lot more balanced. And just out of curiosity, will it be possible to link those images so they can be clicked on? That part's not as important, but it would be a nice touch if it's possible.

Sorry to ask so many questions at once, but I thought maybe it was better to ask them all in one post rather than pepper the forum with a bunch of different ones.

THANK YOU in advance for your help! I really appreciate it!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Trying to Make Multiple Changes to A New Cart

1. Most such things are defined in english.php. You can change them there. If not, use the Admin - Tools - Developers Tool Kit to search for 'manufacturers'.

2. Maybe this (I haven't used it): http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=255

3. Element order in the various listings are set in (in this case) Admin - Configuration - All Listing.

4. I don't exactly understand the question.

5.I can't help with the slider, since I don't use them (and consider them a waste of screen space and annoying for the visitor), but you might search the Plugins for 'slider' and 'slideshow'. There are also some free templates which include sliders you might be able to grab the code from.

Plugin Contributions

Trying to find the right places in the english.php file. I am SO not used to navigating php! LOL

I have a very nice little javascript that allows me to rotate images of any size, and each image is clickable. I don't know if I can put two of them side-by-side, but maybe if I make a 2-cell table. Gonna experiment with that. I assume that I'd enter it in the Define Pages / Define Main Pages, but what about the script header, where can I put that to make it work?

<script type="text/javascript">
    var _gaq = _gaq || [];
    _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-30751212-1']);
    _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
    (function() {
    var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
    })();
    </script>

Will it work properly if I put this at the top of the Define Main Pages screen? I'm thinking not, but I can't figure out where else to put it.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Plugin Contributions

Admin - Tools - Developers Tool Kit will give you the proper line numbers in the proper files for whatever you want to change.

Zencart makes using Javascript easy: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...s_-_Javascript

Plugin Contributions

Nothing about javascript or php is easy! ROFL But I'm learning more all the time.

I found the english.php and changed Manufacturers to Authors. The manufacturers (authors) list isn't showing up in the sidebar yet, but maybe because I don't have enough products entered yet.

Working my way through the other challenges now....................

Plugin Contributions

http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=255 didn't work. Is there any other way to make the subcategories show up permanently in the sidebar?

Plugin Contributions

Okay, trying to work my way through 3) Element order in the various listings are set in (in this case) Admin - Configuration - All Listing.

There are several fields that don't seem to have anything to do with what I need...putting an image on the left of the row, with a text description to the right. I'm sorry for sounding like such an idiot, but can you please tell me what this actually means?

Display Product Image
    Do you want to display the Product Image?
    0= off
    1st digit Left or Right
    2nd and 3rd digit Sort Order
    4th digit number of breaks after

These options have 4-digit strings of numbers, but since the number definition doesn't make any sense, I have no idea what it means or how to configure anything.

How can I set up each line so that the book cover is on the left, the text description is on the right, and the text is larger than 1 pt?

Plugin Contributions

I'm having a terrible time here...nothing is working. I know I'm lousy with javascript and php, but this is starting to get really frustrating.

Okay, let's try this part again:

Quote Originally Posted by Scully View Post
    I have a very nice little javascript that allows me to rotate images of any size, and each image is clickable. I don't know if I can put two of them side-by-side, but maybe if I make a 2-cell table. Gonna experiment with that. I assume that I'd enter it in the Define Pages / Define Main Pages, but what about the script header, where can I put that to make it work?
    Like an idiot, I pasted the wrong snip of code into my question earlier. This is the one I meant to copy in.

<applet code="adrotatorNew.class" width=371 height=600 align="center">
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
    <param name="target" value="_top">
    <param name="delay" value="5">
    <param name="link" value="images/xxxxxxx.png,http://www.xxxxxxx.com">
    </applet>

I followed the link you suggested, read the instructions about a million times, still can't make sense of it. In desperation, grasping at straws, I opened a new document in Notebook, copied in the entire applet code above, and saved it as jscript_rotating_banner.js. I then uploaded it to the /includes/modules/pages/ subdirectory, and placed the following command in my Define Pages / Define Main Page screen: <body onload="includes/modules/pages/jscript_rotating_banner.js"> Nothing happens. So I tried uploading the various .png files to includes/modules/pages/ just in case it's trying to pull them from that directory. Still nothing happens. I'm beyond baffled. I just don't know what I'm doing here, and I'm so totally unfamiliar with javascript and php (I'm extremely good with html, but that's all!!) that I don't even really know what I'm looking at.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next nightmare:

Quote Originally Posted by Scully View Post
    The book descriptions show up nicely on the individual product pages, but they don't show up properly on the All Products page. What I want to do is have the book cover on the left side, and the description (in larger text) on the right. I'm only doing one product per line, so there's plenty of room.

I also want to have the same thing...the book cover and the description...right on the index page. Right now I have it set up to show New Products under the header, but it's only showing the cover photo and the link. Can I set it up to also show the description to the right of the cover image?
    Still not understanding what I'm supposed to do here. I'm trying to create the same layout on the index page and all products page as I have on the category pages. A book cover on the left, followed (on the same line, not below) with a description. When I go to the area you suggested, I see this:

Display Product Image
    Do you want to display the Product Image?
    0= off
    1st digit Left or Right
    2nd and 3rd digit Sort Order
    4th digit number of breaks after

And I don't even understand what the 4 digit codes mean, let alone what to do with them. It doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. How can I set up each product on the All Products and Index pages so that the book cover is on the left, the text description is on the right, and the text is larger than 1 pt?

I know you must hate newbies like me, because you're so experienced with the scripting that my questions seem really stupid. I'm trying to learn, I really am...but I feel like I got thrown into a room full of Einsteins, and I can barely even tie my own shoelaces! Please have patience with me?