Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Switching over, need help!

Hi everyone!

I have a few questions about Zen Cart, I am REALLY stuck and feel I can't even begin without having these initial steps prepared.

First of all, I currently have myself completely set up with godaddy. I already have working domains & a working shop in use (not Zen Cart yet). I have a main domain that has my shop's welcome page and a few other pages, including an important FAQ page. I then have my shop ('quick shopping cart', if anyone is familiar with that) set up on a subdomain (shop. ---- .com) and I would like to move all of that to a new host and use Zen Cart instead.

Ideally, I would like to eventually move things OFF of my subdomain and have that forwarded to my main domain. I would also like to have my new zen cart version of my shop hosted on my main domain.

My problem is I have no idea how to go about this in the best way possible to make the transition as seamless as possible. I am very worried because I have fairly consistent traffic and a LOT of followers.

I am thinking of two ways that might work...

#1 - Set up zen cart on a temporary domain and get it all ready, then move it to my main domain. Not sure how easy this is to do, and I've read that I have to edit configure files...? I would then close down my godaddy shop & have my subdomain forward to my main domain, where the new zen cart would be.

#2 - Set up zen cart DIRECTLY on my main domain, and somehow hide my progress on the shop from my followers. Is this possible? I don't want them to see weird tweakings and errors as I get zen cart ready. But then I don't have to worry about changing over domains.

What do you think would work best? I am completely new to zen cart, and I am sort of freaking myself about it. I know it would offer my customers more in the long run, and ironically my monthly costs would be LESS, but I don't want to start setting it up and have things become a big mess due to the fact that I already have working domains and a working shop that are taking up the space I want to put my zen cart at when it's all ready.

Please help! Thanks in advance. :-)
    Last edited by meljen; 1 May 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Switching over to zen cart... help!

I'd do #1. Moving a Zencart installation is as easy as editing the paths in the two configure.php files. Great idea to move away from GoDaddy.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, that's very helpful. :-)

I'm still concerned about hosting itself, as I was reading in a zen cart FAQ article here that I need SSL, PCI compliance, and an FTPS (or SFTP, whatever it's called) support. Which of those things is most important? Should I be concerned about all of them?

As far as FTP, does a virtual FTP offered through a host work just as well?

Sorry to veer to another topic, but this all goes in line with the move itself. I want to be sure I have everything set & understood before taking the leap.

Plugin Contributions

They're all important, and any decent host will offer all three. I don't see the need for Virtual FTP, since there are many good, free FTP clients. Many here use Filezilla, I use the FireFTP plugin for the Firefox browser.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again for your help! I've been looking at shared hosting, is that the wrong thing to do? I am completely new to hosting, I really have no idea what I'm doing unfortunately.
    Last edited by meljen; 1 May 2012 at 07:22 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I use shared hosting, mostly. Check these hosts first: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...atible-Hosting

In most cases, hosts which try to upgrade you to other, more expensive, options (like GoDaddy) are just looking for more of your money. Many, if not most, 'dedicated servers' are just shared hosting under a different name. Try the basic package wherever you end up, and if it doesn't work for you, you can always upgrade.

Plugin Contributions

If you are accepting credit cards directly on your site, you will need SSL, not shared but dedicated. Make sure whatever plan you choose allows this to be installed directly on your domain. You may also want to inquire whether the SSL will require a "mirror" set of files in a separate secure location; this is an awkward setup causing double maintenance and a good host should not have to do this. (I'm not sure if any mainstream hosts use this setup any more.)

Plugin Contributions

I'm running zc1.3.8 on a shared hosting server and would like to upgrade. ZC1.5 requires SFTP, but my host says SFTP is not available on shared hosting and recommends I use Open Cart instead. What do people suggest?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ousel View Post
    ZC1.5 requires SFTP,
    Where did you get this peice of misinformation from? It is true that where possible SFTP should be used in preference to regular FTP, but this doesn't really have anything to do with Zencart, or any other cart for that matter.

but my host says SFTP is not available on shared hosting
    I'll bet that they don't offer this 'due to security issues' (that's always the response I've recieved). They just don't seem to understand that 'regular' FTP (which they invariably DO offer) is significantly more of a security risk than SFTP will ever be. It is akin do denying SSL for 'security reasons' and only permitting unencrypted Web access. Totally illogical.

Sadly, when a host gets into this mindset there is no convincing them of the real facts.
    and recommends I use Open Cart instead.
    I don't see how switching to a different shopping cart is going to change things for you.
    What do people suggest?
    I suggest you find a host that has at least a vague idea of what they are talking about. I don't know (or care) who your current host is, but with this kind of advice you should stay well clear of them and ignore everything they have told you.

Cheers
    Rod
    Adv dip Network Security

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Where did you get this peice of misinformation from? It is true that where possible SFTP should be used in preference to regular FTP, but this doesn't really have anything to do with Zencart, or any other cart for that matter.
    Extracts from Implementation Guide contained within v1.5 docs folder:

2. Installation Requirements

2.1.4 Do You Have Reliable FTP/SFTP Software?
    If No, stop. You need to obtain a reliable FTP software package such as FileZilla, WinSCP, or
    Transmit. This application is used to transfer files between your computer and your webserver.
    (“FTP” is a very common website acronym for “File Transfer Protocol”)
    (“webserver” refers to the computer on the internet where you have your domain hosted)
    You should use an FTP program capable of connecting in secure SFTP mode when working with your
    website.
    Tutorials on how to use FTP/SFTP are available online from the vendor of your FTP software,
    or generically from any number of online reference websites.
    Whenever anyone mentions “FTP”, you should use SFTP instead.

2.4 Server Software Requirements

SFTP (Secure FTP)
    You will also need to ensure that your hosting service allows you to use SFTP for transferring files
    to/from your hosting server.

2.5 Other Installation Requirements

Your hosting service must also offer the ability to use SFTP for transferring files to/from the server.

So the misinformation comes directly from Zencart and is specifically mentioned 3 times in the first few pages (I haven't looked further).

I appreciate that Zencart is written by programmers, and often used by programmers, but some of us know very littly and have to trust what the instructions say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast