Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Empty <li> below Home Nav

Built this as a check out add on for a customer. Going crazy for 3 days now trying to find this empty <li> at the bottom of the main page just under the Home Page link.

home page

I am new to zen cart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Empty <li> below Home Nav

Probably in includes/templates/classic/common/tpl_footer.php.

Best to create your custom template before you go any further: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...ustom-template

Plugin Contributions

If you "built this", you need to tell us what file(s) you modified and how before we can advise on a solution.

There is indeed an empty <li>, which I would expect to be generated by /includes/templates/your_template/templates/tpl_ezpages_bar_footer.php if you had disabled the check for there being any links to output, in the course of adding list structure. Or it could be due to something in /includes/templates/your_template/common/tpl_footer.php, or possibly /includes/modules/ezpages_bar_footer.php.

And yes, copy your changes to a new custom template folder as stevesh said.
    Last edited by gjh42; 2 May 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Plugin Contributions

/configuration / EZ-Pages Settings / EZ-Pages Display Status - FooterBar

Set it to "0".

This is a 'global' setting.

If you actually *want* the ezy pages to show as links in some pages, you'll need to set this back to '1' and disable specific pages via the 'EZ-Pages Pages to disable footers' settings.

Another option is to add an EZ-page, which will then be used in place of the 'missing' list element.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    /configuration / EZ-Pages Settings / EZ-Pages Display Status - FooterBar

Set it to "0".

This is a 'global' setting.

If you actually *want* the ezy pages to show as links in some pages, you'll need to set this back to '1' and disable specific pages via the 'EZ-Pages Pages to disable footers' settings.

Another option is to add an EZ-page, which will then be used in place of the 'missing' list element.

Cheers
    Rod

OMG thank you sooooo much!!! It was the ez page display status for the footer. Set to 0 it is gone woo hoo!!

Plugin Contributions

Note that you have fixed the symptom, but you have some sort of custom coding that caused the empty <li> in the first place. Stock Zen Cart would not show anything there if there were no ez-page links.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    Note that you have fixed the symptom, but you have some sort of custom coding that caused the empty <li> in the first place. Stock Zen Cart would not show anything there if there were no ez-page links.
    As much as I hate to dissagree with you (which more often than not makes me look a fool. I don't really expect this time to be an exception, but I'd rather be an educated fool than an ignorant fool ), but this may warrant further investigation.

--------------- Test Store#1 - V1.5 - unmodified no EZ-pages --------------
    <ul id="footer-home">
    <li>
    <a href="http://unamed_store.com/">Home</a>
    </li>
    </ul>
    <ul id="footer-links">
    <li></li>
    </ul>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

--------------- Test Store#2 - V1.3.9 - No EZ-page defined/used --------------
    <div id="navSupp">
    <ul>
    <li>
    <a href="http://shop.vcsweb.com/">Store front</a>
    </li>
    <li></li>
    </ul>
    </div>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------- Test Store#2 - V1.3.9 - With an EZ-page (Internal link to 'Home' @ http://vcsweb.com ) --------------

<div id="navSupp">
    <ul>
    <li>
    <a href="http://shop.vcsweb.com/">Store front</a>
    </li>
    <li>
    &nbsp;::&nbsp;
    <a href="http://vcsweb.com">Home</a>

</li>
    </ul>
    -----------------------------------------

Note the empty <li></li> in both cases where there are no EZ-pages present.

Cheers
    Rod.

Plugin Contributions

Hmm... this does warrant closer inspection. tpl_ezpages_bar_footer.php has no mechanism to wrap each link in <li> tags, nor does ezpages_bar_footer.php, so I didn't take the time to examine tpl_footer.php. That does indeed create the <ul>, but it wraps the entire ez-pages links list in one <li>, which makes no sense at all. Of course, it makes even less sense when there are no links.

So I stand corrected. Zen Cart code usually very cleverly accounts for numerous possible situations, but in this case it mishandles all except one possible situation (exactly one ez-page link in the footer). I presume that will be structured better in the next version. EZ-Pages Footer Columns is built to make sets of lists correctly now.

Plugin Contributions

One thing puzzles me, though.
    Test Store#1 - V1.5 - unmodified no EZ-pages --------------
    <ul id="footer-home">
    My virgin copy of v1.5.0 tpl_footer.php does not have ids for the <ul> tags, nor does it have separate home and links <ul> lists.
    PHP Code:
    <!--bof-navigation display -->
    <div id="navSuppWrapper">
    <div id="navSupp">
    <ul>
    <li><?php echo '<a href="' HTTP_SERVER DIR_WS_CATALOG '">'?><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG?></a></li>
    <?php if (EZPAGES_STATUS_FOOTER == '1' or (EZPAGES_STATUS_FOOTER == '2' and (strstr(EXCLUDE_ADMIN_IP_FOR_MAINTENANCE$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'])))) { ?>
    <li><?php require($template->get_template_dir('tpl_ezpages_bar_footer.php',DIR_WS_TEMPLATE$current_page_base,'templates'). '/tpl_ezpages_bar_footer.php'); ?></li>
    <?php ?>
    </ul>
    </div>
    </div>
    <!--eof-navigation display -->
    I do note that the <li> tags would only be generated if the ez-pages footer bar is enabled, which presumably you would not do if you had no links to display. So the current function could be fixed simply by removing the <li></li> tags from tpl_footer.php and inserting them in the right place in the loop in tpl_ezpages_bar_footer.php.
    Last edited by gjh42; 3 May 2012 at 07:27 AM.

Plugin Contributions

One thing puzzles me, though. My virgin copy of v1.5.0 tpl_footer.php does not have ids for the <ul> tags, nor does it have separate home and links <ul> lists.
    Sorry, but I can't provide any more details about this particular site. My only dealings with it is that I had installed the ozpost mod several months ago (and I don't keep the login details any longer than is needed for the task), but I do know the owner isn't the type of person to do any customisations.
    Perhaps this could be the result of the template he is using?

I do note that the <li> tags would only be generated if the ez-pages footer bar is enabled, which presumably you would not do if you had no links to display. So the current function could be fixed simply by removing the <li></li> tags from tpl_footer.php and inserting them in the right place in the loop in tpl_ezpages_bar_footer.php.
    As for my own site (shop.vcsweb.com) I've done many mods and tweaks over the years, but none that have anything to do with the footer (that I can recall). It is based on the 'classic green' template.

What *I've* found most puzzling/interesting about this is that these seemingly unmodified sites (in regards to the footer), and pretty much every other zencart I've seen, outputs the list *across* the screen, without 'bullets' which I assume is done with CSS. As such, the empty list elements have no visible evidence and are of no consequence.

In contrast, the OP's footer list went down the screen, and were bulleted... with is more like typical list behaviour. It was actually this difference that led me to find the empty list elements in the html output/source of my own site, and that in turn led me to the EZ-pages where I found disabling it via the admin settings seemed to 'cure' the problem.

I would probably not have commented on this any further, other than the fact that the same behavior/output could be seen with both my V1.3.9 installation and the v1.5 installation that I picked pretty much at random. I thought it was too much of a coincidence that both of these, and the OP's would have all been modified in some way to produce the exact same 'symptom', which is why I beleive it has more to do with the core code rather than anything else.

Whatever the cause though, it does seem to be harmless in every case, except where the list is made to be bulleted and downscreen, which I can't see anyone wanting to do anyway, so perhaps it isn't even worth spending any more time with it? (as a 'perfectionist' if it were *my* code, I would look into a 'fix', but it'd certainly be very low on my list of priorities, if you know what I mean).

Cheers
    Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast