Default questions about code - header_php.php & main_template_vars.php

Hello wonderful zencart community. I'm kind of trying to figure out how zen-cart works under the hood. I understand php mostly and things I can't work out I can google and understand but there's two things I can't figure out why they are like they are and I'd love it if someone could explain to me.

Qu 1
    in header_php.php (and similar elsewhere) there is a SELECT statement which includes the line:
    WHERE categories_id = :categoriesID";

I know the :categoriesID is a placeholder and that a couple of lines later there is:
    $categories_products_query = $db->bindVars($categories_products_query, ':categoriesID', $current_category_id, 'integer');

My question is how come the SELECT doesn't just use:
    WHERE categories_id =" . $current_category_id "; (or something like that) Surely it's exactly the same thing? Whats the reason?

Qu2
    in main_template_vars.php $define_list is created like:
    Code:
    $define_list = array('PRODUCT_LIST_MODEL' => PRODUCT_LIST_MODEL,  'PRODUCT_LIST_NAME' => PRODUCT_LIST_NAME,
      'PRODUCT_LIST_MANUFACTURER' => PRODUCT_LIST_MANUFACTURER,
      'PRODUCT_LIST_PRICE' => PRODUCT_LIST_PRICE,
      'PRODUCT_LIST_QUANTITY' => PRODUCT_LIST_QUANTITY,
      'PRODUCT_LIST_WEIGHT' => PRODUCT_LIST_WEIGHT,
      'PRODUCT_LIST_IMAGE' => PRODUCT_LIST_IMAGE);
    then an array loops through and does:
    Code:
    $column_list = array();  foreach ($define_list as $key => $value)
      {
        if ($value > 0) $column_list[] = $key;
      }
    How $column_list needs to be created this way? Could it not just be written out like the define_list in the first place?

I guess these are really stupid questions but I'm a learner driver and I just don't understand.

Thanks for any tips :)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: questions about code - header_php.php & main_template_vars.php

Q1 - It's done that way so that the bindvars() action can sanitize the inputs and prevent SQL injection security problems.

Q2 - It's done that way so that the $define_list can be re-used in multiple places, and also to prevent nesting the stuff all in one line of code, which would be harder to read. The $column_list is populated only when one of the $define_list constants (set via admin switches) is set to a zon-zero value. This allows the storeowner to configure certain columns to be on or off, or displayed in a given order, without having to touch the code.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Hi DrByte, thanks for the explanation, that all makes perfect sense now.

One more (possibly) silly question - going through the flow of how everything loads I see that in default_filter.php it checks for $column_list and $select_column_list, but as far as I can figure out they are only created in main_template_vars.php which seems to load after default_filter.php, I can't figure out under what circumstances they would be set in default_filter.php.

I'm being stupid? Right?

Thanks for taking the time to reply before by the way, very much appreciated :)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

No, I think you're reading things wrong.
    header_php.php calls default_filter.php. And so does main_template_vars.php.
    Not the other way around.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.