Plugin Contributions

Default Want to Dupliate Site several times...

I already have a site with several mods working together just fine (Simple Google, Fast & Easy Checkout, and Column Grid Product Layout) . I want to be able to just duplicate this site onto another server and start from that point on several other sites that I plan to do. This will save me a great deal of time and frustration.

All the instructions that I have found are just about moving a site to another server. That's part of what I need but I need to know exactly for my situation what I need to do. I do not want to cause problems with my existing site, simply copy what I have to another server, change things to match up for the new web address, etc...

If someone could either break it down for me really good or provide me with a link if I overlooked it I would be grateful. I only have one site under my belt so I still consider myself a newbie since I am self taught and get a little overwhelmed by some of this stuff

Thank you in advance for whoever is nice enough to help me out on this. Zencart forum folks are the best.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Want to Dupliate Site several times...

Once you have done the setup of your first site, including add-ons, and that you have TESTED it fully to see if everything works OK... you can make as many copies of that site as you like.

The main concern is TESTING to see if everything works properly. You don't want a situation where you have 30 copies of a site all with the same error(s).

To COPY a site is quite easy. You make a copy of the FILES, and you make a copy of the DATABASE.

The process of COPYING is essentially the same as MOVING a site. (Both require that a COPY is made of the FILES and DATABASE).

We store "copies" of sites that we have built, and use them as "showcase" examples. If a client likes a particular showcase example, we can load it quickly and it is then much easier to re-configure it for his/her needs.

There is a TUTORIAL on moving a site, but I am not sure how the SEARCH feature works on this new forum system, so go to the FAQ and see if you can find it.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

There is a TUTORIAL on moving a site, but I am not sure how the SEARCH feature works on this new forum system, so go to the FAQ and see if you can find it.
    Took me a while to figure that out, too. Click on Advanced search at the top right and select the 'FAQs/Articles/Tutorials' checkbox and enter your search term.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you very much for your responses, I will be begin work on this shortly. I will try to track down that tutorial and see if that covers everything that I need. Reason is because my confusion is in the part about what happens once I copy the files and database over to ensure that nothing messes up my existing site or what details need to be altered to make everything o.k. on the newly created one.

Plugin Contributions

what details need to be altered to make everything o.k. on the newly created one.
    One will have to edit the 2 configure.php files changing the domain details
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by C_R_C View Post
    Reason is because my confusion is in the part about what happens once I copy the files and database over to ensure that nothing messes up my existing site or what details need to be altered to make everything o.k. on the newly created one.
    Making a COPY will not mess up anything on your existing site. If you have ever used a photocopier, you will know that you place the original paper on the glass, then press "copy", and the machine spits out a copy.

It does not eat the original in the process.

It is always a good idea to back-up first (ironic... because a backup is actually a "copy").

Remember, when you make a copy, it is essentially a SNAPSHOT of the site at that moment in time. This is true for both the FILES and the DATABASE.

... go back to my analogy of the photocopier...

If you photocopy a document, and then make changes to the ORIGINAL after you have photocopied it, the COPIES are just a SNAPSHOT of the original before you made subsequent changes.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you very much for the explanations, makes good sense to me, especially the photocopy analogy. I will be doing this soon and now I feel confident in moving forward on it. I did discover a slight issue that I need to resolve before duplicating, but that is an issue to address in another post or hopefully on my own. Thanks again!