Plugin Contributions

Default Question about installing CKEditor

I have a quick question. I am having trouble with CK editor. I think that I definitely was not installing it properly. I understand your directions, however, my admin folder currently has three folders: back-ups, images and includes. If I rename the CK editor folder the same as my admin won't I lose all the folders already in there? I am just concerned that I will lose my files and create an even bigger mess. Does this make sense?

Thank you,
    Lespost

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Question about installing CKEditor

In your post you mention "if I rename the CK editor folder the same as my admin...".
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

There's no need to rename the CKEditor folder at all.

In the addon there are folders like this:

-admin
    --includes
    -editors
    --ckeditor
    ----and subfolders

Notice that the CKEditor folder is inside the /editors/ folder. That's where you upload that folder (and its subfolder, etc) to on your server.
    And the files from the unzipped /admin/ folder would get copied (by you, by hand) to your /renamed-admin/ folder on your server.
    And the files in your unzipped /admin/includes/ folder would get copied (by you, by hand) to your /renamed-admin/ folder on your server.

If you do NOT have any folders/subdirectories in the stuff you downloaded and unzipped, then you need to change your unzip software to recognize and expand subdirectories when unzipping.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lespost1 View Post
    I have a quick question. I am having trouble with CK editor. I think that I definitely was not installing it properly. I understand your directions, however, my admin folder currently has three folders: back-ups, images and includes. If I rename the CK editor folder the same as my admin won't I lose all the folders already in there? I am just concerned that I will lose my files and create an even bigger mess. Does this make sense?

Thank you,
    Lespost
    I think what you are asking is:

"By using FTP, will I OVERWRITE current FOLDERS/DIRECTORIES...?"

The short answer is "no". Good FTP programs will prompt you to overwrite FILES in any given folder, if it encounters a similarly-named file in a folder corresponding to the directory-tree in both systems.

In the case of CK-EDITOR, the (unzipped) module will show the following TWO DIRECTORIES:

admin
    editors

If you RE-NAME the CK-Editor admin folder to your unique admin folder name, eg:

my_admin_folder
    editors

... and then ftp both FOLDERS, you may be prompted to overwrite FILES (if your ftp encounters a similarly-named file as discussed above), but all other FILES will not be affected.

But as Dr Byte suggests... it is better to drill-down into the folders on BOTH your home machine and your server, to see what (if any) FILES are likely to be "replaced".

If you are uncertain of the possible consequences of allowing FILE overwrites during a FTP session, then it is GOOD PRACTISE to BACKUP ALL FILES that are likely to be affected first.

We load CK-Editor on practically ALL our ZC sites, and YES... you will be prompted to overwrite some ADMIN FILES.

So play safe... determine what will be overwritten/replaced, and backup (on the server) those files that are affected.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Once CK-EDITOR is loaded on the server, remember... you must SELECT it as the Editor in admin>>>configuration>>>my store
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you! you answered my question.

lespost

Plugin Contributions

Hello,
    I followed the directions for uploading CKEditor on my site and it doesnt show up?
    does version 1.5 support CKEditor v3.7b ?
    I even added the 'optional' line as per the instructions (#5)
    I installed each file by hand except for the ckeditor file which I copied as a whole into the editors folder /editors/ckeditor

I have so much trouble installing plugins, I always move the files by hand into their respective folders, but the plugins usually dont work?
    I must be doing something simple wrong! lol
    Thanks guys!

Plugin Contributions

What FTP program do you use?

We don't use any of the "free" ones, and many years opted for WS-FTP PRO by IpSwitch.

It costs about $35 so it's really nothing to outlay.

We like it because it is SIMPLE to use - much better interface that filezilla, and it is SECURE.

-----------------------------

There is nothing wrong with moving files across to the server on a "file-by-file" basis. Your biggest challenge in doing it this way is that you might load a file to the incorrect place, or not load a file at all...

If a module does not work, it is usually because of incorrect file loading... files have been put in the wrong place - OR... you did not read the instructions that came with the add-on, and you have (inadvertently) overwritten a file / files .

MOST add-ons available in the plugins area of this site are reliable and trustworthy, BUT care still needs to be taken when deciding to try out a new plugin.

FIRST consideration is compatibility with the version of ZC you are using. SOME modules that were designed for early versions of ZC will work on later versions - check the support thread(s) for the add-ons.

SECOND consideration is; what existing files may be affected by installing the new mod... The mod's instructions (readme) will usually list these... BUT if you have added plugins before, then there is a STRONG possibility that there are already OVER-RIDE files for some existing core files.

For example...

*1. you load a new module and it puts a NEW html_header.php into your custom templates COMMON folder

*2. A week later, you go get another module, and IT TOO has a custom html_header.php file - and the mod's readme says "load this to your custom/common/ folder.

Well, if you OVERWRITE the file that's there already, you will remove its functionality relating to the FIRST mod (*1.).

SO... in cases like this, you need to PRESERVE the html_header.php file AND ADD the unique bits from the second module.
    20 years a Zencart User