Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Want to edit my zc db with sqldeveloper but cannot connect with localhost

Hello,

I want to connect Oracle SQL Developer to my MySql db but don't know the hostname value.

My configuration is...
    .VM Virtualbox with:
    .Ubuntu Server 11.10 (64) with LAMP server.
    .zc 1.5

I access my db through phpMyAdmin on the vm from http://192.168.0.107/phpmyadmin/ with no problems.

I have already:
    1.Installed Sql Developer
    2.Installed the driver(to get the new tab in 'new connection')

Now i need to enter:
    1. Connection name: some name for my connection
    2. Username: Same value as i use to access phpMyadmin
    3. Password: same as point 2
    4. Hostname: (defaults to 'localhost')
    5. Port: (defaults to 3306)

My problem is that with this configuration it doesn't work.

I'm quite a newby so probably that's why I don't see it... Not sure where to get the value I need for the localhost... can somebody pls give me a clue?

thanks!
    Leo

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Want to edit my zc db with sqldeveloper but cannot connect with localhost

Have you tried using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Want to edit my zc db with sqldeveloper but cannot connect with localhost

Quote Originally Posted by leocoppens View Post
    I access my db through phpMyAdmin on the vm from http://192.168.0.107/phpmyadmin/ with no problems.

<snip>

Not sure where to get the value I need for the localhost..
    Gee, and you are *so* close.. You've even provided the answer yourself :)

Hostname: ('192.168.0.107')

Another option, is if you have a valid hosts file with something like

192.168.0.107 MyComputer MyComputer.localdomain

Then either
    Hostname: ('MyComputer')
    Hostname: ('MyComputer.localdomain')

Should also both work.

Caveate: by default MySQL only allows *user* access from 'localhost', so 1st thing you'll need to do is log into the database as the DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR, and update the Zencart DB ACCOUNT USER so they can access from anywhere (%), or, for better security, from 192.168.0.% (just your private network)
    These seeting can be found under the 'Privileges' tab via phpmyadmin.

Cheers
    Rod.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunatelly I tried both 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.107 and it keeps on failing. The error msg is in the following img:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sqldev_connerr.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	10452

Plugin Contributions

Unfortunatelly I tried both 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.107 and it keeps on failing.
    Did you do this (from my previous post)...............

"1st thing you'll need to do is log into the database as the DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR, and update the Zencart DB ACCOUNT USER so they can access from anywhere (%), or, for better security, from 192.168.0.% (just your private network) "

If so, then which did you use? "%" or "192.168.0.%" ?

Also, based on your screenshot I see you are trying to connect to your database as 'root'. Therefore, rather than the ZenCart DB account user, you will need to assign these permissions for user 'root' (which by default also resticts access to localhost/127.0.0.1 only).

If that doesn't solve the problem, my next question/comment is going to be ....
    You previously stated "I access my db through phpMyAdmin on the vm" . Is your Oracle SQL Developer running on the *same* vm? (if not, then please fully explain your system. What OS is running 'bare metal'. What VM software are you using VirtualPC, VirtualBox, VMware, other?

Is your SQL server on the virtualised machine or the native machine?
    Is your Webserver (and therefore phpmyadmin) on the virtualised machine or the native machine?
    Are you accessing phpmyadmin from the virtualised machine or the native machine?
    Is your Oracle SQL Developer running on the virtualised machine or the native machine?
    As well as '127.0.0.1' both the virtual machine and the native machine will have thier own IP addresses. What are they, and which machine is using which IP address?

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hello Rod, Thanks a lot for your help! unfortunatelly I still didn't get it working...

I tried going into phpMyAdmin, selecting privileges, then assigning % to each line of my root user by clicking on "Edit Privileges" as below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Privs.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	10455

My configuration is the following:

Main OS: Win7Ultimate64 (IP: 192.168.0.104)
    VM Soft: VirtualBox 4.1.14
    Machine on the VM: Ubuntu server 11.10 (IP: 192.168.0.107)
    Software on the virtualized Ubuntu: . LAMP server
    . Zen Cart

So, what I do is access the 192.168.0.107 ip of my virtual server as if it was on the net for zen cart, for zen cart admin and for phpMyAdmin with no problems or complications, I found it nice and easy, until I tried to connect sqldeveloper to it...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Is inbound port 3306 blocked on the vm's firewall?

Perhaps do some searching about Ubuntu and firewall controls and port 3306 for TCP or TCP_IN ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hello Rod, Thanks a lot for your help! unfortunatelly I still didn't get it working...

I tried going into phpMyAdmin, selecting privileges, then assigning % to each line of my root user by clicking on "Edit Privileges" as below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Privs.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	10455
    Wrong Privileges. Those you set are database speciific. A user needs ACCESS Privileges before the database-specific privileges even get a looked at.

On the same screen that you found the Database specific settings (which you probably don't need to set, unless you wish even finer control over who can access a specific database) the next section has the Change password settings, and the one after that is the one you need to edit.
    The default is Host: Local -> localhost.
    Change this to
    Host : and from the dropdown select 'Any Host'

My configuration is the following:

Main OS: Win7Ultimate64 (IP: 192.168.0.104)
    VM Soft: VirtualBox 4.1.14
    Machine on the VM: Ubuntu server 11.10 (IP: 192.168.0.107)
    Software on the virtualized Ubuntu: . LAMP server
    . Zen Cart
    For best performance and reliability, I would suggest you consider reversing your Main OS and VM. IE, Run Ubuntu on bare metal and virtuialise your Win7. :) Not that this has anything to do with your problem.

So, what I do is access the 192.168.0.107 ip of my virtual server as if it was on the net for zen cart, for zen cart admin and for phpMyAdmin with no problems or complications, I found it nice and easy, until I tried to connect sqldeveloper to it...
    As stated above, you need to set the user permissions to log on from anywhere (or, in your case, for better security, the IP address of your *Windoze* box (192.168.0.104), because that is where are connecting *from*.

If this STILL doesn't work, then follow up on DrByte's suggestion regarding a "firewall" blocking port 3306.
    On your ubuntu server, if you type "iptables -L | grep 3306" on the command line and nothing shows then this *isn't* the machine doing the blocking.

Offhand I couldn't tell you where to check on the Win7 machine, but it'll be somewhere under your network settings.

Cheers
    Rod