Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Odd link problem after upgrade

I'm not sure if this started immediately after a recent upgrade to 1.3.9h or later, but we just noticed it.

On this site, if you scroll down to the bottom of the home page to the New Products For May box, and hover over any of the products, you'll see a slight difference in the text links compared to the image links. For example...

Code:
    text link:  ../index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130&products_id=964
    image link: ../index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130&products_id=964
    Just before the products id in the text link (but not in the image link) the normal ampersand is being changed into an HTML entity and then the link doesn't work. Oddly, the ampersand for the category is not being changed.

If you check out any other listing, for a category for example, or even by following the New Products... link under the categories, all the links look and work correctly. It's only wherever you have a New Products For May box that the links are wonky.

So I guess my question is... where is the code that is outputting those links? I'll need to check that php file against a stock one to see what's wrong, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks for any hints you can offer.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Odd link problem after upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by rstevenson View Post
    So I guess my question is... where is the code that is outputting those links? I'll need to check that php file against a stock one to see what's wrong, but I don't know where to start.
    /includes/modules/new_products.php

Not sure if that'll be the offending file, but it appears to be a good place to start.

Cheers
    Rod

ps. Followed this further... also check /includes/init_includes/init_canonical.php
    Last edited by RodG; 10 May 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Rod. The init_canonical.php file is identical to a stock one. However, the new_products.php file is part of the Single Listing Template add-on, which also installed a modified version of includes/templates/MY_TEMPLATE/templates/tpl_products_new_default.php. I could try removing that mod, but would prefer to run it, of course. It doesn't seem to have a switch in admin to turn it off for testing, but it does have a debug function. I'll turn that on and have a look.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

If it were me, I'd just rename includes/templates/MY_TEMPLATE/templates/tpl_products_new_default.php which will cause zen to use the original template. It'll probably screw up the look of the page, but it'll prove or elimate this file as being the culprit. (I call this the 'fck all to infinity' check). :)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Nope, no debug function. The readme says to "enable the Admin->Configuration->Index Listing - Template Debugging = True and see what files are being used." Unfortunately there is no such setting. Something is amiss. Must go check the files now. [sigh]

But I like your 'fck all to infinity' check. I'll try that too. >>>

Tried that and the New Products... listing returned to one product per row, as expected. But the New Products For May box didn't change and the links remained wonky. But that's an interesting technique. I'll have to remember that one.

Rob
    Last edited by rstevenson; 10 May 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rstevenson View Post
    But I like your 'fck all to infinity' check. I'll try that too.
    That was taught to ne by my electronics teacher several decades ago. Initially as a way to determine what would happen at point 'A' of a circuit if resistor 'B' was increased or decreased in value. Instead of trying to figure the answer out using minor changes, the idea was to figure it out as if the resistor had a dead short (fck all resistance, and again as if the resister was open circuit (infinite resistance). These 'figures' made it easy to see what the answer would be. Any values in between those two was just a matter of degree.

This same princple works with many other real world situations as well. :)

Anyway, I digress...

Another place for you to check would be

/includes/functions/functions_categories.php
    This may be counter intuitive but 'new products' appear to be processed just like any other category.

Incidently, when you've fixed this problem, I think it about time you updated Johanne's shipping module. <smiles> I see she's still using one of the V2.x.x series.
    The V3.x.x series is an easy upgrade (just copy over the new files, and navigate to the admin settings). The act of navigating to the admin settings will automatically update the database files whilst keeping most, if not all, of her current settings intact).
    One of the biggest benefits she will gain is a performance boost and increased reliabilty. V2 only 'knows' about one of our three servers. V3 knows about them all.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Another place for you to check would be
    /includes/functions/functions_categories.php
    Nope, that one's stock too.

Rob