Plugin Contributions

Default export data feeds

Are there any mods to export data feeds to shopping comparison sites like Google, Pricegrabber, Nextag, etc? I'm currently using Magneticone's mods to do this, but they all export thumbnail images

I realize I could use Easy Populate to generate a file. However, it does not have all the required information, such as CSE specific category fields. It would need to be separate code to generate each of the CSE feeds, and via a cron job, and exclude certain categories and products.

Magneticone's software works for this, but for some crazy reason it gives the url to thumbnail images for each product instead of the full sized image that each CSE requires. It isn't open source.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: export data feeds

What "thumbnail" does it call?

We don't use "thumbnails" on any of our sites; just a normal, reasonably large, image in the main images folder.

We generally use ImageHandler however, as it takes perfect care of all image resizing in zencart.

Plugin Contributions

I mean the 100x80 or whatever is defined as the "small" image. The file in /images instead of /images/large.

Plugin Contributions

It will take the ACTUAL image resident in the main images folder.

If this is a thumbnail size, then that's what it will take.

We long-ago abandoned loading three different sized images, and now just load a well-compressed large image in the main images folder. we leave the medium and large folders EMPTY, and don't bother with _MED.jpg or _LRG.jpg either.

As mentioned, we use ImageHandler which is excellent for server-side image manipulation as it auto-creates appropriately sized "clones" of that single product image, which it then uses in the various places in the site.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I understand it uses the image in /images. The default configuration for zencart is to have 100x80 images in the /images folder and I believe 640x480 images in the /images/large folder, although I have changed it to 800x600. So if a mod is going to use the image in the main /images folder, then the author is going to need to admit that the mod is using what is by default a 100x80 max resolution image. I don't understand why a mod would be built to assume that the admin has changed this configuration around or is using an image handler mod.

Plugin Contributions

OK: here's what we do, and have done for over 5 years now, on all ZC sites we build.

We ONLY load images to the main /images/ folder. We do not put any other product images anywhere else.

We have ONE product image per product (eg: chocolate-cake.jpg)

If it is a LANDSCAPE image, it is 750px wide, and 550px deep

If it is a PORTRAIT image, it is 550px wide, and 750px deep.

We use photoshop to sample the jpg and "compress" it to a filesize between 120kb and 160kb (or less if possible).

We do not load "thumbnail" version, nor use _MED or _LRG versions.

We have ONE image (per product) only, and it is resident in the main images folder.

(Noting of course that where a product needs to take advantage of the additional images feature in zencart, we load these approproately-named additional images)

We generally use IH3 or IH4 to auto-control image rendering.