Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Subcategories not showing

I am looking at upgrading my current ecom website. We are expanding the product lineup in our b&m store to over 25,000 products, June 1, 2012, so we need to get the category issue resolved before we can relaunch our new website store.

Currently I have 21 categories and 455 subcategories with eight of the subcategories going five levels deep. There are no products uploaded to the store and it is a clean zc install. I uploaded the categories thru easypopulate.

In each category/subcategory combo that go more than three levels deep, all I get is the header for the page and nothing else. I can not browse to any other subcategory.

Example: Beads > Gemstone Beads > Jasper Beads > Zebra Jasper Beads > Bronze Zebra Jasper Beads

I can view the Beads and the Gemstone beads categories just fine, but when I click on Jasper, all I get is the header and nothing else. The jasper subcategory has 43 subcategories and will have more than 900 products.

All category/subcategory combo that are three levels deep or less work just fine.

Any clues, suggestions or ideas to try?

I understand the recommendation of limiting how deep the cat/subcat levels go. I run a craft & hobby store and there is no way to limit the cat/subcat level to three or less levels. We currently have over 15,000 products. When you get into jewelry making supplies, there are sites with cat/subcat levels more than ten deep. One type of bead we carry, Gemstone Beads, has over 4600 kinds, types, shapes, sizes, colors, etc. There is just no way to present it in just three cat/subcat levels.

I do not have a link to post as this test site is on an internal pc with Windows 7 & WAMP Server, and is not connected to the internet.

I would like to resolve this as I like the look, functions and operation of zc.

BTY, I have had the exact same issue with categories/subcategories with oscommerce and other similar ecom carts when I tryed them out.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Subcategories not showing

Need a link please
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

As I stated in my original post "I do not have a link to post as this test site is on an internal pc with Windows 7 & WAMP Server, and is not connected to the internet."

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by GRBS View Post
    As I stated in my original post "I do not have a link to post as this test site is on an internal pc with Windows 7 & WAMP Server, and is not connected to the internet."
    Unfortunately, you are dealing with non Zen Cart behavior, which means it is something you did.... we cannot diagnose what we cannot see. It can be rogue code in a description, images too large or about 20 other things.
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

This is an issue I have been trying to resolve for several weeks.

I have the same results for the same cat/subcat levels if I manually create the categories by hand or if I upload a csv file with the cat/subcats already defined.

I have found the exact same issue in the same cat/subcats with other software of similar design. (i.e. oscommerce)

The cat/subcat names are made up of one to three words with an apostrophe as the only symbol or odd character being used. The cat/subcats with the apostrophe works just fine.

I have searched the forums here and other websites for a fix or resolution and no luck. With the amount of complaints dealing with the same/similar issue, I am surprised it is not something that is being seriously looked into.

Everyone has said the same thing(s):

1: Limit the depth of your cat/subcat levels.
    2: Make sure there are no products in the same cat/subcat as other subcats. Thiss will cause the subcats to not show.

I installed the zen-cart software on a linux webserver and encountered the same issues with the same cat/subcats. I had to remove the software as thiis is a live webserver and the owner was afraid the performance would be affected. So I presume it is not just an issue related to the type of webserver used.

It is not an issue of server resources as the php.ini limits have been increased to see if that is a possibility, currently they are:

memory_limit = 256M
    post_max_size = 32M
    upload_max_filesize = 20M
    mysql.connect_timeout = -1

The zen-cart version is current stable release v1.5.0, no zen-cart files have been altered and only two modules have been added, they are easypopulate and backup.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mprough View Post
    Unfortunately, you are dealing with non Zen Cart behavior, which means it is something you did.... we cannot diagnose what we cannot see. It can be rogue code in a description, images too large or about 20 other things.
    This is on a clean Win 7 laptop running WAMP Server. There is no other software or websites running. The only website software installed is zen-cart v1.5.0 and two mods: easypopulate and backup.

There are no images added, there are no products added, there are no descriptions added, I just added the categories/subcategories.

All I did was add the categories and subcategories. As there has been issues with the category/subcategory levels not working properly in other similarly coded ecom software. I started with the categories/subcategories to verify that there is no issues.

This is a fresh clean install of zen-cart v1.5.0 with no altered code.

Plugin Contributions

I can attest that this is not Zen Cart... see here (http://yourprettygarden.com/mailwrap...4_704_702.html), 5 categories deep

Plugin Contributions

Could you browse your products table and do a sort on master_categories_id and see if all Products have a master_categories_id and that none of them have the master_categories_id of 0 ...

While you are at it, check that they all have a products_price_sorter ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

From the OP:
    There are no products uploaded to the store and it is a clean zc install.
    Does anything change if you add some products to the lowest subcats? I don't think it should, but it couldn't hurt to test...

If you can duplicate the site on a viewable server, it would help to diagnose the issue. There is no reason it should impact another site to have this in a subfolder of it temporarily.
    Last edited by gjh42; 18 May 2012 at 06:20 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    Could you browse your products table and do a sort on master_categories_id and see if all Products have a master_categories_id and that none of them have the master_categories_id of 0 ...

While you are at it, check that they all have a products_price_sorter ...

I checked the db table and no entry has a master_category_id of 0, and they do all have a products_price_sorter.

I added the full csv of products and cat/subcats and the issue is still the same whether or not there are products.

Would it matter if different category/subcategories have the same subcat names? The reason I ask is I have several cat/subcats with the same subcat names, some at different levels.

Example:

Beads > Gemstone Beads > Jasper > Zebra

Cabocons > Gemstone > Jasper

Pendants > Gemstone > Jasper

The reason I ask is: I have multiple cats/subcats with identical names at the same or different levels. Right now there are five cat/subcats that have the same subcat names. Though some of the cat/subcats menu work fine while others do not.

When we expand our line up in June, this issue with the identical or similar mnames in the cats/subcats will only get worse. At present about six cat/subcats, after the product expansion, this could go as high as twenty. Not all the cats/subcats will have the same/similar names, five may have the same/similar names and another group would have the same/similar names, etc.

If it would help towards the understanding of what I am getting at about the cats/subcats, I could post a text file of the category/subcategory listing as it is now.

I have setup a temp site on a free php host, but I keep getting errors that server is busy, so I am looking into another host .

The current store site is hosted on windows server and does not allow serving of php pages. The php host I used is owned by a friend and he is worried about his bandwidth since it is a shared hosting server.

I am fairly new to php/java coding, though I am quite familiar with open source .asp/.net development since I have done it for over ten years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast