Plugin Contributions

Default Stylesheet.css - different in Classic and Template Default? Why? What to do?

I am a newbie, lots of love to the Zen Cart community!

I am learning to create templates. There are of course several sets of isntructions online. Some tell me to use the css folder from "Classic", some tell me to use the css folder from "Template Default", when making the new template folder.

The file titled "stylesheet.css" is NOT THE SAME in "Classic" as it is in "Template Default". WHY?

Which one should I use? The "Classic" stylesheet.css gives me a page 750 pixels wide with tons of "background" on either side. The "Template Default" stylesheet.css gives me a page that is as wide as the monitor screen.

With the "Classic" stylesheet.css, the file tile_back.gif makes the headings of the sideboxes. In "Template Default" it... doesn't, somehow.

When I make a new template, which one should I use, the "Classic" stylesheet.css or the "Template Default" stylesheet.css ?

If the answer is, "it depends", then what does it depend on? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?

THANKS!

CultureClick - the newbie who got ZENNED!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Stylesheet.css - different in Classic and Template Default? Why? What to do?

It depends on what you want your site to look like before you start making changes, which means it really doesn't matter. Most of the rules in the two stylesheets are the same, with a few rules dealing (as you said) with the width of #mainWrapper and header colors and images being different. I start with the classic stylesheet, but, again, it doesn't matter. The Classic template is provided as an example of a custom template.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Stylesheet.css - different in Classic and Template Default? Why? What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    The Classic template is provided as an example of a custom template.
    AH! Thank you, stevesh, thank you so much!

The Clasic template is one example of what you can do starting with Template-Default. That makes it so much clearer! I wish they would just say that in GHK's book or the other books on the topic. There are a few things GHK doesn't tell you, like "after you select your new template from the admin panel, go to template tools (or whatever, the next choice down on the drop down menu) and hit the reset button." It took me two and one half hours to find that little gem of information, and you know where I found it? Here on the Zen-Cart website, of course, not in the book.

Is there a discussion area here where you can make suggestions for GHK's next edition?