Plugin Contributions

Default How do I add a category, brand, and size and type to my items?

I'm about to start a new store and each item will be able to fit under multiple categories. One is the category. One is the brand. One is the size. One is the type. I have others, but each product will have these attributes. How would I go about doing that?

I would also like to be able to have a menu that shows these attributes. On the left of my page, I want a "categories" list with clickable links to categories. I also want "manufacturers" with all the links so I can sort by manufacturer. And so on.

How is this done?

Thanks,
    BP

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I add a category, brand, and size and type to my items?

If I understand the question, you could just create categories with those names (type, etc.) and copy the appropriate products to them from the master caregory when you create them (or afterward).

I don't know how what you want to do with your second question would differ from the manufacturers function built in to Zencart.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, what I mean is that I want to have a left bar that looks something like this:

Categories:
    ---
    ---
    ---

Brands:
    ---
    ---
    ---

Stores:
    ---
    ---
    ---

Size:
    ---
    ---
    ---

And so on.

I want to be able to assign an item to several different groups.

Plugin Contributions

Right. Doable when you create you categories and products in admin. 'Categories' would be an actual category, as would the rest.

http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...n-one-category

http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...linked-product

Plugin Contributions

Ok, thanks for the advice, but I don't think that entirely solves my problem.

I suppose what I'm asking is how to create multiple "sets" of categories. What you mentioned allows me to list a product in multiple categories. That's very helpful, as I did not know that. However, my question here is how to create different groups of categories and then assign the product to each group.

For example, if I have a book, we'll say MobyDick by Herman Melville, I'd want to add this to a category called "novels". However, I'd also want a list on the left of my site for a search by author, and I'd, put it in a group called "melville". I'd also want a search by type, so I'd put it in a group called "paperback". I'd also want a search by publication date, so I'd put it in a group called "1850-1900" or something like that. I'd also want a publisher group so I can search by publisher, so I'd need to add it to the publisher group.

How can I do all this? There must be a way.

Thanks,
    BP

(Also, sorry to concatenate the name "MobyDick". Apparently this site thinks its name is a swear. :) )

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bparker View Post
    Ok, thanks for the advice, but I don't think that entirely solves my problem.
    It probably does...., but you are not "getting it" yet

I suppose what I'm asking is how to create multiple "sets" of categories. What you mentioned allows me to list a product in multiple categories. That's very helpful, as I did not know that. However, my question here is how to create different groups of categories and then assign the product to each group.
    If you want the categories listing display to look "pretty" with the group headings then search for an add on like "Categories Dressing"

For example, if I have a book, we'll say MobyDick by Herman Melville, I'd want to add this to a category called "novels". However, I'd also want a list on the left of my site for a search by author, and I'd, put it in a group called "melville". I'd also want a search by type, so I'd put it in a group called "paperback". I'd also want a search by publication date, so I'd put it in a group called "1850-1900" or something like that. I'd also want a publisher group so I can search by publisher, so I'd need to add it to the publisher group.

How can I do all this? There must be a way.
    There is, create the categories "novels", "melville", "paperback", "1850-1900" and "publisher" then link the product "MobyDick" to all of them.
    (This was stated in the previous post but you haven't got your head around it yet).

Plugin Contributions

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK. Categories Dressing. That is the part I needed to know. :) Ok, thanks for your help!

Plugin Contributions

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK. Categories Dressing. That is the part I needed to know. :) Ok, thanks for your help!
    There are limitations to this approach of course. If you truly were selling books you could have 1000 different authors. So displaying them all in a category list in just not practical and you would need to maybe put them in say, alphabetical sub categories.

So before you upload lots of products, you need to work out your categories first to see if it is practical to go this way or to use a different approach.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, it seems like pre-planning is necessary. Also, I'm just suing books as an example. This has come up in many stores I've developed (clothes, food, etc.) so it's good to know I have these options. Thanks!