Plugin Contributions

Default Database errors when upgrading from 1.5.3 to the latest 1.5.5a

I followed Dr Byte's rebuild advice to the letter, that is I installed a fresh ZC demo on a separate directory and created a separate database, I used 1.5.5a and included the demo products, then I decided to play with my old 1.5.3 database and I uploaded it using PHPMyAdmin, first tried just inserting the SQL from the MySQL dump, and what I got was an error in the table layout_boxes, so I tried to fix by doing a ZC_INSTALL the system recognized the steps and successfully upgraded the database but then my layout was completely garbled, that is none of the products showed up anywhere and the left and right columns ended up been like a solid orange, so no sideboxes, nothing, at this point I didn't even start moving my customized files, to be on the safe side, I have a local backup on my Mac and I'm using Diff on Mac OS X Lion, to compare all files one by one. So my question is, is there a better way to upload the database backup without errors? to restore the backup and have a functional new demo version with all the products?

Am I missing something? There's been a while since my last upgrade, and frankly wasn't doing much in ZC lately ...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Database errors when upgrading from 1.5.3 to the latest 1.5.5a

Well, a few things to know about the database upgrade process...
    After the import of the old database to the new database, the upgrade (zc_install) should be performed before logging into the store.
    Your layout will not be correct if the template directory of your old store is not loaded into this new store as the database will try to use previously existing information and find that it doesn't exist and therefore you will get some "gaps".
    Take note of everything you do to the database to get from the upgraded point to what you need/want to see. This part of the rebuild process is what will need to be duplicated with your live store when you go to upgrade it.
    It seems like you have/had the appropriate information in your database dump to permit/force replacing the demo database information and for ZC to recognize the need to upgrade the database. It basically should replace the existing database not add to it. So having drop table statements, auto_increment values, etc...

Have patience. Yes, should "check-in" on what results are seen while doing the upgrade, but until the files are brought up to what was included in the old store there are characteristics that won't be seen. Check for logged errors in the logs directory, but it would appear to me that you are just on the path to rebuild and that (so far) is going well.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the tip but I did the upgrade directly on the server, I now added the old template so it's on the configuration file, but my question is why do I get the error in layout_boxes?
    And what's the best method to restore the old database on the test site? Right now I'm running into problems in the Admin too a Forbidden error when I try to preview I check all permissions and they seem fine ... and the template loads in the front end however in the admin area it shows an error ...

Plugin Contributions

From the OP, the reason for the error in layout boxes appears to be because the database had not been updated before attempting to access the layout boxes controller/admin. Because of changes that had been made in the code between old and new, the database had to be updated as well. This likely would be confirmed by review of the myDebug file(s) in the logs directory.

As to restoring the database back to the demo products? I assume that is to what you are referring, upload the zc_install directory again and run zc_install to wipe your new database (NOT YOUR LIVE STORE!!!) and populate the database, that is unless you made a backup of the new database before applying your old database...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...