Plugin Contributions

help question Custom sideboxes and center boxes

I have been looking through all the addons and have yet to find anything for 1.5 zencart in regards to custom HTL/PHP coded sideboxes for adding things like widgets and buttons and whatever else. Really I am looking for something that will allow creation of new blank sideboxes that can then be positioned wherever and have them take on the style of my template.

Then once it is there I wanna be able to put in code just like I would for ex-pages or define pages and have it do whatever the code says to do.

Also is it possible to modify the width of the sideboxes even by as little as a few pixels like I can with the header, logos and sidebars?

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Custom sideboxes and center boxes

There's a whole bunch of plugins for sideboxes. Take a peek and see if there's anything that suits your needs. http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=12
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

The blank sidebox plugin does what you're asking, i.e. provides a template from which you can develop your own sideboxes that will fit with the styling of your other sideboxes. It says that it's for 1.3.7 only because that's the last time it was updated - the way sideboxes are built hasn't changed since then.

You may also be interested in the editable sidebox plugin, which makes the content editable from the admin in the same way as it is for EZ-Pages or Define pages.

You can change the width of your sideboxes by editing values in Your-Admin > Configuration > Layout Settings.
    Last edited by kuroi; 14 Jun 2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

I tried blank sideboxes 2.0 and recieved an error that broke my site. I changed all names to match and uploaded the code into the box. Upon activation of the box everything from the center column/body to the right column vanished.
    The Arcane Haven - Metaphysical and New Age Emporium | http://www.thearcanehaven.com

Plugin Contributions

That indicates a syntax error, most likely with whatever you've put into the box. I recommend following the steps in this FAQ entry (especially 2a) to track it down.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    The blank sidebox plugin does what you're asking, i.e. provides a template from which you can develop your own sideboxes that will fit with the styling of your other sideboxes. It says that it's for 1.3.7 only because that's the last time it was updated - the way sideboxes are built hasn't changed since then.

You may also be interested in the editable sidebox plugin, which makes the content editable from the admin in the same way as it is for EZ-Pages or Define pages.

You can change the width of your sideboxes by editing values in Your-Admin > Configuration > Layout Settings.
    Hi, I have installed the blank sidebox on my website. It all works but I am unable to work out how to configure the padding - I'm getting too much space between the header and the box contents. I would have thought that the style would be the same as the other side boxes on my site by default.

Does this indicate that I am able to set the margins, colours etc. separately to the style of other boxes on the site? If so, how?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by elmick View Post
    Hi, I have installed the blank sidebox on my website. It all works but I am unable to work out how to configure the padding - I'm getting too much space between the header and the box contents. I would have thought that the style would be the same as the other side boxes on my site by default.
    It should pick up your default side box layout.

Quote Originally Posted by elmick View Post
    Does this indicate that I am able to set the margins, colours etc. separately to the style of other boxes on the site? If so, how?
    Yes, you can style it separately. It will use the same class (sideBoxContent) for the contents within as all your other side boxes but the box itself has it's own box_id as well.

Plugin Contributions

If you'll look at the template file in that mod, you'll see this:

$content .= '<p>' . TEXT_BLANK_SIDEBOX . '</p>';
    $content .= '<p>You can include text, links, images, HTML markup and even PHP code</p>';

Remove the <p>and </p> tags (leaving the quotes), and your padding should go away.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    If you'll look at the template file in that mod, you'll see this:

$content .= '<p>' . TEXT_BLANK_SIDEBOX . '</p>';
    $content .= '<p>You can include text, links, images, HTML markup and even PHP code</p>';

Remove the <p>and </p> tags (leaving the quotes), and your padding should go away.
    Thanks this worked in a way (some space has been deleted) but the box does not conform to my to my default settings. This is no great problem though as I want it to be different from the other boxes. I'm just unsure of how to code this.Do I create a new separate listing in the main style sheet named #blank_sidebox.php and style this?