Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Admin Log In Screen (and Cart) VERY slow to display

This has been going on for quite awhile.

Just pulling up the admin log in screen on my cart can sometimes take 10-20 seconds. Entering credentials and logging in then goes fairly quickly, and the admin system itself seems responsive enough (not great, but better). It doesn't seem to matter whether I have http or https active on the admin.

Possibly related, there are similar delays when the customer uses the Add To Cart button to add an item and go to the Shopping Cart page.

I am thinking this could be related to session generation? I've tried fiddling with different session settings in the config files, and haven't been able to get things any better. Any suggestions for things to try?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin Log In Screen (and Cart) VERY slow to display

Can you give some details of your hosting environment? Are you mysql databases on a different server? Do you use shared hosting?

Plugin Contributions

This is running on Dreamhost VPS with 1GB of reserved memory and a separate Dreamhost VPS SQL server with 300MB of reserved memory. On both systems I am running well within the amount of reserved memory, and CPU loads are low. Page load times for product pages are pretty snappy, it's just when I get into the admin or front end shopping cart/login/payment pages that things slow down.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

So, are you saying that whenever you click from a non-SSL page to go to an SSL page that it's suddenly slow?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    So, are you saying that whenever you click from a non-SSL page to go to an SSL page that it's suddenly slow?
    Not quite. Even when I run the admin via plain http I have the delay. Similar with the initial shopping cart page, which is non-SSL, but slow to load.

Not sure these two items are related, just putting it out there in the interest of full disclosure.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. I'd already done most of those but rechecked the list just in case. For the admin log in, the delay occurs even before I attempt the login (i.e. just bringing up the initial empty login form). The delay seems to happen only when I access the admin after a time away from it (~24 hours?). Subsequent accesses are pretty snappy.

I am using OpenDNS for my local network DNS so I don't think it's a problem with slow nameserver resolution.

I am beginning to suspect that it could be a problem with my VPS SQL Server having the related admin/customer tables swapped out of memory when they have been inactive for awhile (despite the reserved memory) and it taking a long time to load them. Not sure how I could prove that however. I am checking with my host, but I expect their answer is to upgrade to a $100/month dedicated server which I would rather avoid.

Another possibility seems to be something in my PHP/Zen configurationthat is causing slow session creation. I have turned off all of the ip-to-hostname lookups, so it is not that.

Any other suggestions for things to check on the zen-cart side?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'd be curious if a fresh clean uncustomized install of a new separate ZC shop in another folder and another database, using just the demo products, exhibits the same symptoms or not.

Plus, please list all your addons and every way that you've changed your store from original code.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    I'd be curious if a fresh clean uncustomized install of a new separate ZC shop in another folder and another database, using just the demo products, exhibits the same symptoms or not.

Plus, please list all your addons and every way that you've changed your store from original code.
    I've got a fresh install of a zencart 1.5.0 with just the catalog DB carried over on the same server that loads the admin login page much faster. Unfortunately that 1.5.0 is not a pristine copy, I was working on installing the FEC mod and it has broken the shopping cart link so I cannot check the load time there.

On my production 1.3.9h there are quite a few mods, main ones are:

-Fast and Easy Checkout 1.9.3
    -Multi Cross Sell
    -Stock by Attributes 1.4.14
    -Super Orders 2.0
    -Zen Lightbox
    -Testimonial Manager
    -CSS Flyout Header

I thought the stock by attributes might be the culprit for the slow shopping cart load times, but I disabled "check for stock" and it did not reduce the load times.

Website is http://hardbrakes.com/

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

When two stores in the same account exhibit different performance, I am struck by the need to investigate all the differences between those two stores, in order to identify what's causing the bottleneck.

Sometimes that means creating a new store and slowly building it up to match the behavior of the ill-performing store, until suddenly it breaks ... or nothing is found.

Sometimes it means working the other direction: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast