Plugin Contributions

Default language defines... inconsistent overrides for order_total modules

I've wondered this for years and now that I'm customizing (yet another) zen cart installation, I figured I'd ask...

It seems that some files you can place just the defines you want to change in the override file. For example

/inculdes/languages/english.php is overrided with /includes/languages/YOUR_TEMPLATE/english.php and you can pick and choose which defines you include in the new file. Any that you don't, will (logically) be taken from the main file.

BUT this isn't always the case. Other language files you have to include the whole text with all the define or they don't work.

Why is that? Is there any rhyme or reason to it that I'm missing?

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: language defines... inconsistent overrides...

Could you give a specific example of one of the language files which 'have to include the whole text' ?

Plugin Contributions

There's currently a report (http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...ing-text/page2) in the Bug Reports about an override problem with order_totals ...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Could you give a specific example of one of the language files which 'have to include the whole text' ?
    Sure. One particular instance is /includes/languages/english/modules/order_total/ot_total.php

Perhaps its a modules thing? I'll look deeper and find out exactly what files.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: language defines... inconsistent overrides for order_total modules

Nope. Found another one and its just a regular one...

/includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/button_names.php

Plugin Contributions

The default is that you need a complete list of language defines in the override file, as when there's an override, only that will be loaded.

There is an exception for the primary language file, e.g. english.php. This wasn't always there, but was quietly introduced in version 1.3.2 or thereabouts. For this file only the override file would be loaded, followed by the main file. The rationale behind this was that the primary language files were so large that duplicating them seemed excessive and often caused problems in the next upgrade, as new definitions added to the default file tended to get missed from the override file during upgrades.

However, there is drawback to this approach. First the overrides are loaded and then the default values, which fills in the gaps. However, it also causes PHP to issue warning notices for those definitions that appear in both files and nowadays these are treated with much more respect, so I doubt you'll see this approach extended further.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Interesting... so to be clear, what is the best practice then? To duplicate the entire file in each case and make edits in the duplicated file?