Plugin Contributions

Default How do I set a maximum value for Postal Code in the Admin?

Is this possible in the Admin? I set the minimum value to 5. Thing is my customers are entering their complete Postal Code with the additional digits (for example, 12345-0987 instead of just the standard 5 character 12345 Postal Code). When this happens the tax calculations are incorrect.

I tried limiting the input via HTML right on the page by deleting the php:
    PHP Code:
     <li>

<label class="inputLabel" for="postcode_shipping"><?php echo ENTRY_POST_CODE . (zen_not_null(ENTRY_POST_CODE_TEXT) ? '<span class="alert">' ENTRY_POST_CODE_TEXT '</span>'''); ?></label>        

<?php echo zen_draw_input_field ('postcode'$_SESSION['postcode'], zen_set_field_length (TABLE_ADDRESS_BOOK'entry_postcode''40') . ' id="postcode"'); ?>

</li>
    and using HTML:
    HTML Code:
    <input type="text" id="postcode" maxlength="5" size="5" name="postcode">
    When I did this I set the minimum characters in the Admin to 5 as well. Now when customers enter their address an error comes up asking to enter their Postal Code as if they never did entered anything.

Also, I should note that I'm using the Numinix Quick Checkout plugin so this could lead me to think that it's running through the javascript.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I set a maximum value for Postal Code in the Admin?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigkick View Post
    When this happens the tax calculations are incorrect.
    Um ... Zen Cart's built-in tax calculations are not based on Postal/Zip code.

I suggest that perhaps your problem is really in your customized code/addons that are doing tax calculations differently than what Zen Cart normally does.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I have an plugin setup to change the price of delivery based on the postal code. so i guess it is a bug in the 3rd party plugin.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I would suggest that if that plugin depends on a 5-digit code that it should be adjusted to do its own trimming of the data before it applies its logic.

You really don't want to prevent the customer from giving the more accurate longer number, since if you were to ever choose to engage a shipping service that needed that information, then you'd want it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.