Plugin Contributions

Default CKEditor default fonts

Hi:

I recently installed CKEditor to use in place of HTMLarea. I am having trouble getting the fonts and sizes right in comparison to what I already have using HTMLarea. I don't know what the default font and size is for this editor and what file I need to change to get what I want. Also, CKEditor seems to double space every paragraph.

Any help would be appreciated. I am using 1.3.9h

Dave

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: CKEditor default fonts

What you are doing (or trying to do) is to INLINE EMBED or "hard-code" style declarations into html elements, rather than place these into a CSS stylesheet.

While the result may LOOK ok, it is actually very bad practice to do this, and the technique is largely "deprecated". It's very bad for SEO too, because your text-to-html ratio is vastly reduced... It adds unnecessary load to the pages, and risks conflicting with proper CSS.

Rather do it properly - for a site that VALIDATES better, is faster to use, and has better ranking potential on search engines.

HOWEVER...

If you site is in competition to any of my clients sites, then PLEASE continue doing inline embedding, because you will be one less competitor to worry about!
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the interesting reply.

I did, in fact, try the stylesheets first. Anywhere there was a font called out I changed it to Verdana. When I went back to check on the site I was confused because it did not have the effect I was expecting. That's what led to think that maybe the editor had a default setting.

Anyway, how do I change the stylesheets to achieve what I am looking for? Verdana with the main product descriptions etc. 12 px. Do I have to change the stylesheets in the admin side also?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Plugin Contributions

These days a lot of sites are using remotely-hosted fonts.

https://developers.google.com/webfon...etting_started
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Wow!!!!

That's about as far over my head as it could be. I understand the concept but the application is way beyond my knowledge.

Could you give me a hint how to proceed? I would like to learn how to do this but I need some help.

Dave

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by top hatt View Post
    Could you give me a hint how to proceed? I would like to learn how to do this but I need some help.

Dave
    The general skills required to embed this involve fairly basic knowledge of html page structuring (the PURPOSE of the HEADER section... the PURPOSE of the BODY section...)

And as these skills are GENERAL, this forum is not the place to teach them.... MAINLY because they are taught in so many other places on the WWW, and there is no point re-inventing the wheel.

Try w3schools.com for some good starter tutorials...
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Solution:
    It took me quite a while to figure this out.
    Let us say you want to use Verdana as the default font. Here is what you can do:

1. Open contents.css and change the font tag:
    font-family: Verdana;

2. In the application/page where the output will be published, add this style:
    <style>
    .entry-content {font-family: Tahoma;}
    </style>

That's it! Now you have change the default font successfully. This works for the font size as well. I just finished developing a site which utilizes CKEditor and this tiny issue kept me awake for two days!