Plugin Contributions

Default Big Royal Mail 3.0

Thread for discussion of issues with Big Royal Mail 3.0
    Mark Brittain
    http:\\innerlightcrystals.co.uk\sales\

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Big Royal Mail 3.0

Guess I'll be the first...

Just noticed this upgrade after turning it off due to Phil's situation and installed the Basic Uk Mail.

So, does this update simply install over the old vertion? AND does it get rid of the errors in the log file as it attempts to verify?

Plugin Contributions

When you say "install over the old version" bear in mind that the files (if named exactly the same) will overwrite the "old" files.

In general, with shipping modules... if you OVERWRITE the files to reinstall the modules you should FIRST copy all the pricing variables that have been inserted by the module into the database.

I usually copy them into notepad, making sure that I label each set of variables so I know which module they apply to. With RM, this can be a detailed process because there are a lot of pricing variables that apply to all the zones.

When you have a COPY of these variables in that notepad file, you REMOVE the module(s). Then you overwrite the php files. Then you INSTALL the modules again.

If the latest RM values are in these new modules, you should not have to "paste in" the sets of price variables - but if you do need to paste them in again, at least you have them all in that notepad file.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the wise words schoolboy (a tomorrow project me thinks)

Plugin Contributions

Chuckl's Royal Mail Mod is worth a shot... Just check that his filenames are not the same as Big Royal mail before you FTP them.

We now use Basic RM instead of Big. Chuckl went to a lot of trouble to make the mods compatible with RM's new pricing and insurance structures - and that's a feat worthy of an Olympic Gold, with oak-leaf and bar... RM's principal business objective is to absolutely confuse everyone... (even Stephen Hawking doesn't understand their formulas).
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
    Guess I'll be the first...

Just noticed this upgrade after turning it off due to Phil's situation and installed the Basic Uk Mail.

So, does this update simply install over the old vertion? AND does it get rid of the errors in the log file as it attempts to verify?
    No You have to remove some of the old modules. I wrote a sql patch to upgrade from the previous version and there are instructions on what needs to be removed.

I have not noticed any errors in my log file so I assume that they are no longer present. If you find any please let me know.

I rewrote the module as I like the way it worked and it was getting a bit old.
    Mark Brittain

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    Chuckl's Royal Mail Mod is worth a shot... Just check that his filenames are not the same as Big Royal mail before you FTP them.

We now use Basic RM instead of Big. Chuckl went to a lot of trouble to make the mods compatible with RM's new pricing and insurance structures - and that's a feat worthy of an Olympic Gold, with oak-leaf and bar... RM's principal business objective is to absolutely confuse everyone... (even Stephen Hawking doesn't understand their formulas).
    This module has also bee rewritten with the new pricing options world zone 2. The only think that is does not do is take account of the Letter and large letter size options. Unless you are sure of you package size I would not recommend installing the letter and the package modules on the same site.
    Mark Brittain

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

LOL... Tell me about it ;(
    Even the postofice get confused. I have two to choose from and neither are the same price (so I use the cheapest)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the mod. Is there a reason that the Royal Mail International Signed For® "Printed Papers" is missing from version 3?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by scotoman View Post
    Thanks for the mod. Is there a reason that the Royal Mail International Signed For® "Printed Papers" is missing from version 3?
    Printed papers are the same as Small packages. The only difference is that you can post up to 5kg. You could change the listings in the in Admin>modules>shipping and add to the end of the last section 2.1:14.42 etc. to allow the additional weights the format is weightrice. The royal mail price for each additional 0.1kg is £0.60 for europe, £1.22 for world zone 1 and £1.28 for world zone 2. The issue is if you are not sending papers then the Limit is 2kg therefore again I would not advise using this unless you intent to only send papers. If you give me a couple of days I will sort out a SQL script to change the airmail to printed paper rates.
    Mark Brittain

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast