Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Adding Attributes to Subcategories ?

I searched and cant find the answer.. (Newbee)

I sell office supplies. I need to be able to give a customer a choice as to the product they need.

Example Office Supplies
    Binders & Binding Supplies
    Binders (here I need to be able to create options)
    Size: 3"
    4"

Color: Black
    Red
    Maroon
    White

Brand: Avery
    Universal
    DayTimer etc..

I don't need attributes at the product page because by the time they get there the above options are already figured out.

I cant just Copy the attributes to the Category or Subcategory if there are no products.

Any help would be appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding Attributes to Subcategories ?

Sorry, Zen Cart doesn't work that way. Attributes are only available on products.
    I don't need attributes at the product page because by the time they get there the above options are already figured out.
    And, by the time they got to the product (IF they don't stop first) they'll be so frustrated that they may not want to purchase anything.
    When deciding how to do something like this, we try to find a way that the customer can get to the product as quickly as possible AND see all options when they get there.
    I.E., why would you need a category for office supplies? Kind of redundant, don't you think? Maybe a main category of Avery with subs of Labels, Binders, Folders, etc. Then, under binders you could group them all or have a sub cat to separate things like Legal, three-ring, two-ring, etc. Then the customer is at the product in three clicks. The binder product would have option values of size and color so that a customer could select 3" black and be left there to select 4" white if they wanted that too.
    Just suggestions on options but remember, people now stand in front of a microwave and holler, "Hurry UP!" Quick and easy means better conversion rates.

Plugin Contributions

dbltoe

I appreciate your response. However I disagree. I carry over 40,000 products. Only one category is called Office Supplies. Maybe what I am looking for are NOT called attributes. Maybe I am using an incorrect term.
    Let me show you an example http://www.newegg.com On the left side click on Electronics- Then click on car electronics. Now look at the left side again-Notice the Sub-Sub categories Then let say you select Car Speakers. Notice now you have attributes related to the products (Price -Manufacturer-Type-Speaker Size.) This is exactly what I need to.. Are you saying that ZEN CART does not let me do this? When someone on my site clicks on binders they need to be able to decide the color, the capacity, the manufacturer. Or they click on batteries they need to decide if they want AAA.AA C, D, 9V . what brand (Duracell, Energizer, Eveready, Rayovac- Do they want Alkaline, Vs Lithium etc..

Another example. Amazon Click on books-then children's books. Then you have choices Age Range-Featured-Popular Categories. etc...

Plugin Contributions

Technically, those are sub-sub-categories on the New Egg site. You can certainly create as many category levels as you want in Zencart. Having them display the way they do on that site would require custom coding.

Plugin Contributions

The needed custom coding could be added easily to Categories Dressing, as a new case in the switch which controls which kinds of categories display. See the mod's support thread if you want to discuss the possibilities of that.

Plugin Contributions

To create the filters you are talking about at the various lowest levels would require significant custom coding specific to your site. There is a mod for such filters in Plugins, but I believe it only applies to the whole site, not different sets of filters depending on what category you are in.

Plugin Contributions

gjh42

Categories Dressing you say will work for me? Is this something you developed?

Also You say "There is a mod for such filters in Plugins, but I believe it only applies to the whole site, not different sets of filters depending on what category you are in" Do you know the name of the plug in i should search for.? Where do I find the mod support thread?

Thanks in advance..

Plugin Contributions

[QUOTE=dlwwalton;1137833]There is a mod for such filters in Plugins/QUOTE]

http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1141
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your help. I really need to be able to do what I mentioned on my original post. Are there any other solutions. Does someone want to write a script for me that can do that?

Plugin Contributions

What you want will be complicated enough to code that you will most likely need to hire someone to do it. It's not something that anyone will write on a whim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast