Plugin Contributions

Default Do attributes function as product tags?

I'm working on a site that will be selling DVDs, and I need to specify the actors for each DVD so that the customer can narrow down movies by the actor's name. Is there anyway to do this? If this was Magento, I would do so by tagging the item with the actor's name. I can't seem to find a comparable feature in Zencart.

The Manufacturer Drop Down list made it look like I could tag via attributes, but I would need to specify multiple actors per DVD.

Thanks so much for your help!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Do attributes function as product tags?

I'm trying to see the same thing

Plugin Contributions

For something like movies where there can be multiple actors linked to one product, you are right that "manufacturers" is not usable. Your best bet is probably to make a "Movies by Actors" category with subcategories for each actor, and copy/link each movie to the relevant individual actors' subcats.

This kind of tagging is not a new request, and it would be nice if someone built a mod to add the ability.

Plugin Contributions

Because of the way that Zen uses completely different queries to build it's various pages ( product listing, specials, all , featured , new products , search etc. ) it is slightly tedious to build a tagging module that works as a filter. By that I mean that it is easy to make a basic tagging system. But ( as magento and prestashop have ) you want it to filter the current page then it is a bit more involved. Not hard but there are just a lot more lines of code to work through.

having said that, if someone want to beta-test this then I have a basic tagging module that I use on some of my sites. If anyone wants to do the hard work of testing it for all options and configurations and writing a decent read_me file then get in touch.