Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Stuck install on local site - part 2

Prior discussion here: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...ing-local-site

OK, I have followed instructions from various sources to upload a local copy of my existing website, and managed to successfully upload the zencart (green template) to my local server. I am now trying to follow the instructions to upload my existing website, but I'm not getting anywhere. I am using Xampp.

These are the steps I have taken to get my live website over the zencart template...

1) I copied the includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files from the zencart files which were in the C:/xampp/htdocs/mystore and stored them elsewhere temporarily.

2) Using Filezilla, I copied all the files from my live website's public_html file and transferred them into c:/xampp/htdocs/mystore.

3) I went back to the temporarily stored includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files from number 1) above, and moved them back to override the same named files that were my existing live website.

4) I created a new local database in phpmyadmin, and exported the database from my existing website and imported into the local database.

Now I am at a loss as to what to do. I have seen posts which advise that I need to make changes to both of the configure.php files but I cannot access these from the url (http://localhost/mystore/includes/configure.php. I am getting an Access Forbidden error 403. Once I can access these, what changes do I need to make??

Also, I cannot find the fix_cache_key.php file to complete the steps for that.

Thx

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Stuck install on local site - part 2

Quote Originally Posted by iceni11 View Post
    Now I am at a loss as to what to do.
    Um ... I'm at a loss as to what you think you need to do.

Are you asking us how to display your localhost store in your browser? Answer: http://localhost/mystore/index.php

Are you asking something else?
    I have seen posts which advise that I need to make changes to both of the configure.php files
    Why are you thinking you need to change those? What search took you to those posts in the first place?
    but I cannot access these from the url (http://localhost/mystore/includes/configure.php. I am getting an Access Forbidden error 403.
    Not surprising. Nobody should ever be able to access those files via a URL. You edit PHP files using a text editor like NotePad++ or CrimsonEditor
    You said yourself that you put your files into the c:/xampp/htdocs/mystore folder. So, to edit your storefront configure.php file, you'll use Notepad++ to access c:/xampp/htdocs/mystore/includes/configure.php
    Once I can access these, what changes do I need to make??
    Again, that depends on why you're even trying to edit that file in the first place.
    You already said that the configure.php files you now have are the ones that zc_install updated for you, because you put them back after copying your live site's files into your htdocs/mystore folder. So, if you have indeed put back the configure.php files generated for your xampp setup, then there should be no need to edit the configure.php files at all.

So that brings us back to: You said you're "at a loss as to what to do". But you haven't explained what end result you're looking for vs what result you're getting.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Ok. You need to add the xampp database details to your 2 configure files. Did you setup a password for your xampp install? If not then don't add a password to your configure files (of course this only applies for your PC version not your www version!!). Next, did you add a username? Or is it 'root'?
    You could always paste the contents of your xampp, I repeat your XAMPP configure files. (providing you didn't use the same password as you did on your www version. And the user details of your XAMPP phpmyadmin setup (again only if those details are different to your www details).

Plugin Contributions

Oh and as for the permissions issue, right click the configure.php file, click properties and uncheck the 'read only' option before you try to edit the file.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The 2 configure.php files for Zen Cart will get the right database settings if you run zc_install and give it the database credentials when asked. Running zc_install to do an actual fresh new install of Zen Cart is something you need to do *before* the 4 steps you mentioned in your first post above.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The 2 configure.php files for Zen Cart will get the right database settings if you run zc_install and give it the database credentials when asked. Running zc_install to do an actual fresh new install of Zen Cart is something you need to do *before* the 4 steps you mentioned in your first post above.
    Hi boss. Is she not trying to install her existing site to her PC? Therefore would she not need to have her live DB installed to her xampp phpmyadmin and then her local configure files pointing to her local DB?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

1. Install Zen Cart fresh on the local PC (include demo products for simplicity), and test that it works, both storefront and admin. Best to be sure to use the same version of Zen Cart as is used on the live server.
    2. Preserve the 2 configure.php files for step 4 below, since step 3 is gonna replace them.
    3. Copy the files from the live site, replacing ALL the Zen Cart files on the PC side
    4. Copy the 2 preserved configure.php files overtop of the ones put there by step 3
    5. Import the database
    6. Run fix-cache-key utility if necessary.

It's all the same as this article here, which explains it in much more detail: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...fferent-server

Plugin Contributions

Ah I'm with you now, I'll keep my beak out ;-) didn't realise she was installing default first before her current live site.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

No problem chiming in! I'm not asking you to back out at all! Other perspectives help to ensure things aren't missed. I could be missing something too ;)

Plugin Contributions

Hi again

I am trying to transfer a copy of my existing live website onto my local PC with Xampp.

I have now downloaded Notepad, and am following the instructions below to run the fixed cache key facility.

I have followed all the instructions, but I am having trouble doing the http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8

Number 2 advises "* 2. Copy this file to the folder where "index.php" exists for your Zen Cart site".... but which folder do I put this in exactly, as when I do a search my entire store folder, there are several files named index.php?

Currently, when I run my localhost site in the browser, I am seeing this page.
    Name:  web page.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  35.9 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast