Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

red flag PayPal transaction data missing suddenly

I have version 1.3.9e and our site has been running for a long while with no changes.
    Today I noticed that I was not getting the usual email notifications for orders.
    I figured it was the usual Godaddy issues and ignored it because they typically correct such issues.

Later, I went in and viewed some of the transactions in Zen Cart and all the Transaction information normally populated in a table below the three buttons "Payment +" and "Purchase Order" and "Refund $" , there was no transaction data.
    Instead it reads "No Payment Data Available"

I looked at the Zen Cart logs and found nothing.
    I logged into PayPal and the transactions are there and marked "Completed". For some reason PayPal data is not being reflected back into Zen Cart

Any Ideas?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PayPal transaction data missing

Sounds like you've changed which PayPal module you're using, and are no longer using Express Checkout, thus getting no data because it has no credentials to use for looking up the data.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

As I mentioned, no changes have been made...none, zero.
    There is no doubt it was a godaddy server issue. As it all started working the second I hit the submit button on the original post. The php mail was down as well. What was odd was that zen could still process the order. Not sure how a server can be half up.

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: PayPal transaction data missing

I was wrong, the problem has not been fixed. A block of orders will have transaction data and then a block will not.

Our Zen had not been updated in a while, so I upgraded from 1.3.9d to e to f, g, and now we are running 1.3.9h. (wow, that was a lot of work) Unfortunately the problem persists. I'm not sure where to start or what to look at. What is involved with regard to data from PayPal being sent back and inserted into the database?
    The database knows that the transaction occurred, by the presence of the order itself, but contains no PayPal transaction information.

I spoke with Godaddy twice and they see nothing. They did notice that I had hit my maximum allowed emails for the site for the day. Not sure how that could affect PayPal transactions
    Last edited by split63; 31 Jul 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you're talking about the gray section in your Admin orders screen, that information is pulled from PayPal's servers in real-time. It is looked-up on-demand. It uses the same credentials to login to PayPal as are configured in the Paypal module used when the payment was made on that order.
    In this case I must assume you're referring to Express Checkout because that's the section of this forum that you've posted in.
    And with PayPal Express Checkout, in that gray section it is not displaying any data stored on your server. It relies on being able to ask PayPal's server for the latest info. I suppose if the server is running slowly then it may not be able to display the data, in which case that section will not display any useful info.

It has nothing to do with emails. But if you're hitting email thresholds then you might have other problems going on with rogue activity on your server. http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...ing_From_Hacks

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I'm referring to the two side by side gray tables. When the data is present both tables are there. When the data is not, only the left table is there (but no data), and the right table is completely missing.

Are you saying that each time I look at an order, that data is pulled in a new?
    Let's say there are two adjacent orders; order 1000 and order 1001. Each time I click details for order 1000 the Orders page has no transaction detail in the grey table. Each time I click details for order 1001, it always has the transaction detail. I have tried it over and over and the results are the same. So it does not appear to be anything related to server load.

Looking at my Payment modules, I have only "PayPal Express Checkout" installed
    Last edited by split63; 31 Jul 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, every time you look at it, the data is pulled in "a new".

If it's not showing the data, then it's unable to do the lookup, for whatever reason.

If there's something especially critical you need to see, all the info is available by logging into your PayPal account separately and looking at your transaction history. That's always your reliable fallback even if your store doesn't have the correct transaction number to do its lookup.

Plugin Contributions

We are logging into PayPal to confirm the transactions are valid and completed.
    But something has become intermittent. This morning all transactions were missing data. Then just after noon, transaction data was working again. At this point I have no leads

Plugin Contributions

Any help would be appreciated.

The problem persists. A group of consecutive unrelated orders will have transaction data and then a group of consecutive unrelated orders will not have data. The groups can span from a few hours to say nearly a day.
    For those orders which have no data, we will not receive an email Order confirmation from Zen Cart. We always receive the payment notification from PayPal.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by split63 View Post
    For those orders which have no data, we will not receive an email Order confirmation from Zen Cart. We always receive the payment notification from PayPal.
    That sounds like a problem is occurring at the end of the order process, and your store is aborting some of its final steps like recording the full response from PayPal and sending out the emails etc.
    That sort of thing is not unsurprising if you're using addons which break normal operation, or if you've your customizations have introduced bugs which are causing the code to fail.
    First steps: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page
    Next steps: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues
    And of course, you said you're using v1.3.9e when there were bugfixes posted in 1.3.9f, 1.3.9g and 1.3.9h that would benefit your site, including several PayPal-related fixes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast