Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default New install - how should I install a template - can't find any instructions

I've just done a clean install of v150
    And found a template that's same/similar to what I need:
    ZJ - ZenCart jQuery Template Pack
    http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=726
    but I could not see any install instructions, nor could I find a support link.

I unzipped and uploaded the whole folder to /includes/templates/
    but when I use use 'Edit Template Settings' (in Admin) the template does not appear in the drop-donw list.
    Can someone tell me how to install the template.

OR
    Could someone point me to a newer/better template - I need a 3 columns - wide (but not full browser width) ideally with white texts on black backgrounds (I'm happy to change this, but I might as well start with a look&feel as close as possible to what I want). It's for a graphic design shop which they want to look new/good - ideally Apple(ish).

Thanks for your help guidance ... and I DID search for instructions for about 2 hours before giving up and asking - honest.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New install - how should I install a template - can't find any instructions

I have this template pack on my computer, but only really used one, shown here on my demo with the template switcher:

http://www.prom-mart.com/demo-1/inde..._id=zj_black_2

I actually like this template alot and think that with some color changes it can be pretty great for my industry.

You are correct: I don't see install instructions either.

When you say you uploaded the whole pack, you don't mean begining with the "ZJ-Template-Pack" folder do you? That would be incorrect. Rather, you would upload from the "includes" folder inside that folder. Straight from the "includes" folder on your computer to the "includes" folder on your host.

If you really did upload the whole "ZJ-Template-Pack" folder, you should just be able to delete it. You should have also backed-up your data base before any major site surgery such as template installation, although I don't know that restoring your database would be involved here.

As for templates, that's my speciality of sorts. Did you first look at the collection of free templates at http://(sorry, site offline)/zc150/ ?

Most of the Free templates are gathered there under it's switcher, although there are other free templates around.
    Last edited by SPH; 31 Jul 2012 at 07:18 AM.
    Steve
    prommart.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New install - how should I install a template - can't find any instructions

Thanks SPH,

Your right, I :-(incorrectly) uploaded the whole "ZJ-Template-Pack" folder into /templates/ folder.

So I don't make another mistake, can I please check exactly what you mean by...
    Code:
    from the "includes" folder on your computer to the "includes" folder on your host
    The ZJ-Template-Pack structure is:
    Folder - ZJ-Template-Pack
    └ includes
    __└ extra_configures
    __└ languages
    __└ english
    __└ modules
    __└ ...

So I assume I upload everything that's in 'extra_configures' to the '/includes/extra_configures' folder.
    and everthing that's in 'languages/english' to the '/includes/languages/english' folder
    etc etc
    Is that right?
    Two questions:
    1) Because the files are no longer together under one folder - is there a good way of removing them - e.g. if I experiment/try lots of different templates in order to find the one I want - & therefore want to remove the others?
    2) Will there ever be duplicates files from different templates perhaps?

As for templates, that's my speciality of sorts. Did you first look at the collection of free templates at http://(sorry, site offline)/zc150/ ?
    Yes I looked here, but stupidly didn't use Chrome. I've now use it and I see that ZJ-Template-Pack doesnt have rounded corners etc. So rather than add these myself, I'll look for one with these already in.

Plugin Contributions

Sending files to your server requires that they get put in the RIGHT PLACE. This is true for ANY program, so it is a case of:

1. Using a GOOD, RELIABLE and SECURE FTP program
    2. Understanding the DIRECTORY TREE in your custom module (ie: the stuff you want to SEND to the server)
    3. Understanding the DIRECTORY TREE of the PROGRAM on the server, which you are loading the custom stuff to.

When you go grab a custom module (or template), the file will be ZIPPED UP (usually) and you UNZIP it into a suitable folder on your hard drive.

CUSTOM TEMPLATES files will always be located in the folder called "includes", so after you have unzipped the template, you just need to drill down to the directory level where you see that includes folder.

SO... in your FTP program, you need to be able to see the custom template's includes folder on your local machine, and you simply drill down to the point where you see the main includes folder on your remote server.

When you see these includes folders on BOTH machines, you know you are at the right directory level.

GOOD TEMPLATES are already structured to send their files to the right folders, so ALL YOU NEED DO is drag the includes folder from your local machine, over to the includes folder on the server.

The FTP program will write the files to their correct locations.

It should be quite safe to load several templates, because each will have custom folder names, and will not over-write each other.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Schoolboy - very clear.

I'm using FileZilla 3.5.3 and when I drag the 'includes' folder over to the 'includes' folder on the server - it adds it as /includes/includes/' .... Is that what you meant by "to their correct locations" ? "
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    GOOD TEMPLATES are already structured to send their files to the right folders, so ALL YOU NEED DO is drag the includes folder from your local machine, over to the includes folder on the server.

The FTP program will write the files to their correct locations.
    Sorry to be a pain, but I'm new to Zencart and since (having not used the template yet) I don't know whether it's a "GOOD" template - I(anyone) would want to know where the files should/are going as it's quite possible that having tried the template I would want to remove it and try another.

Thanks again

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Gretsch View Post
    Thanks Schoolboy - very clear.

I'm using FileZilla 3.5.3 and when I drag the 'includes' folder over to the 'includes' folder on the server - it adds it as /includes/includes/' .... Is that what you meant by "to their correct locations" ? "

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm new to Zencart and since (having not used the template yet) I don't know whether it's a "GOOD" template - I(anyone) would want to know where the files should/are going as it's quite possible that having tried the template I would want to remove it and try another.

Thanks again
    I do not use Filezilla because it is cumbersome, clunky and insecure. I use WSFTP Pro from Ipswitch, as it is a much easier and more user-friendly program, and it is SECURE...

Anyway... the confusion you are experiencing has nothing to do with zencart. If you have aspirations to be a "webmaster", then understanding the tools you will be using is essential.

Here is a tutorial on how to use filezilla. You should also acquaint yourself with other "webmaster" stuff, and a good place to start is w3schools.com .

Managing your server and site installation is not something that we teach on this forum - mainly because there are thousands of other sites that are dedicated to teaching this stuff, and some do it far better than any helper on this forum could do... and besides, why re-invent the wheel?
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Yes, it seems that you are still learning your FTP program and how to copy* files across from your computer to your server. Includes/includes/ is definitely incorrect.

But once you learn your FTP, this template package is already in the good, correct structure that Schoolboy mentions. Just copy from includes to includes and all of the template files will automagically go to their proper places.

As for templates, here are some more that may work, possibly with color changes, in case you have not yet seen them:

http://www.brandonturpin.com/online-...bbiamo_supremo
    Use template switcher left column to see more

http://www.picaflor-azul.com/free-de...id=newport_eco
    Again, use template switcher to see more

http://zen4me.com/demo/hope/
    Nice new template with top and side flyouts

http://samwilson3d.com/ebony/ - I just discovered this one the other day in the plugins section. Very elegant and attractive, IMO, but has some issues with IE Compatability View and some CSS alignment problems (prev/next buttons, alternate pics, etc.)

*I use Core FTP lite and FTP Commander (both free) but do not "drag". Rather, I make sure the folders are lined-up on my computer and remote server then click the arrow to copy across. BTW, I also use ftp for quick edits, copying to a work/test folder from my remote server to my computer, edit, them copy back across. Usually faster than cPanel, for me.

If making an edit on a live site, I put a ~ behind the original file like .php~ to save it. Then copy the edited file across. If it didn't work as expected, I delete the edited file I just copied across and take the ~ out of the original to put it back.

You'll learn your own methods along the way.
    Last edited by SPH; 31 Jul 2012 at 06:21 PM.
    Steve
    prommart.com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    I do not use Filezilla because it is cumbersome, clunky and insecure. I use WSFTP Pro from Ipswitch, as it is a much easier and more user-friendly program, and it is SECURE...
    Silly me ... I used it because:
    a) I found it recommended in Zencart's faqs http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...-with-zen-cart
    b) I've been using it, and its predecessor on Unix, for about 20yrs.

Anyway... the confusion you are experiencing has nothing to do with zencart. If you have aspirations to be a "webmaster", then understanding the tools you will be using is essential.
    Forgetting my aspirations for a moment. SPH has given less condesending info for me to follow up

Thanks for trying to help though.

Plugin Contributions

Good to hear you are not a novice then... it can be a long road if you've not had previous experience.

The key to getting modules (any add-on) installed is to make sure that the folders/files get sent to the right place.

The first step in ensuring this is to make sure that when you unzip an add-on, you take a quick overview of all the FOLDERS it contains, and I always "drill-down" through the folders to see the hierarchy, and get a quick look at all the folder names.

Then, I read through the instructions (README, or other help file) to see if there are any specific things that need doing before I send the add-on to the server.

For complex add-ons, I look for any support thread/topic on the ZC forum, and see if anyone has had problems. If I see a "regular guru" on these postings (stevesh, SPH, DrByte, Ajeh, niccol, divavocals... and many others of course) I pay attention to their comments.

Then, when I am ready, I make sure I navigate to the right folder LEVELS on both my local machine and the remote server - so that when I start the FTP process, I can be sure that the folders (and their sub-structure, with the files) are all being sent to the right place on the server. The most common reason add-ons don't work after upload, is because files have not been ported to their correct location(s).
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks SPH,

I've only had time for a quick look so far, but two of your suggested templates look very like I'm after - thanks.

With respect to my 'confusion' about file structure. As above, I believe I followed your earlier suggestion & dragged the /include/ folder, but you now know I'm using FileZilla and have suggested that I don't use 'drag'.
    If you would confirm where the files should go, this might conclude the matter. If I re-ask the question:

The ZJ-Template-Pack structure is:
    Folder - ZJ-Template-Pack
    └ includes
    __└ extra_configures
    __└ languages
    __└ english
    __└ modules
    __└ ...

So I assume I upload everything that's in 'extra_configures' to the '/includes/extra_configures' folder.
    and everthing that's in 'languages/english' to the '/includes/languages/english' folder
    etc etc
    Is that right?

fyi: I last looked at zencart some 3 yrs ago, and decided on using cubeCart and Shopify since then as they had a better UIs. However, cubecart's latest version has problems with the shipping modules, so I thought now might be a good time to re-look around the market. Both have good instructions about how to install and how to build templates - and remain hopeful about zencart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast