Plugin Contributions

Default Annoying display problem with PayPal Express Checkout

I'm using PayPal Express Checkout and everything seemed fine... until yesterday!

Normally when a customer clicks the PayPal Express Checkout button they are directed to the PayPal gateway. On the left hand side of the screen under the title "Your order summary" "Descriptions" and "Tax included in prices: 0 (0)" is the line "You'll be able to see your order details before you pay."

However, a customer pointed out to me that that on some products, when they go to check out by clicking the Express button they are directed to the gateway and are given a product description (see attachment). I don't mind the description on the page the problem is that the price (item total) is inaccurate (it doesn't include the sales tax) - so the customer is confused about what the price is.

Has any one experienced this problem before? Is there a fix?

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  22.7 KB

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Annoying bug with PayPal Express Checkout

Have you looked at the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Annoying display problem with PayPal Express Checkout

Quote Originally Posted by jingjo View Post
    until yesterday!
    Is there anything that might be particularly important about "yesterday"?

on some products...
    What exactly is unique in your system about those particular products?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Have you looked at the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page?
    Hi lat9 - yep searched hi and lo already - what "Similar Threads" are you referring too?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Is there anything that might be particularly important about "yesterday"?
    Hi DrByte - the only thing important about yesterday is that the problem was pointed out to me. Like I said I don't mind that a product description is somehow sent through to PayPal with the gross price (rather than the net price as is happening in the attachment above)

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    What exactly is unique in your system about those particular products?
    There is nothing unique about the products - other products in the same category display normally in PayPal (i.e. "You'll be able to see your order details before you pay.").

As an immediate fix I've turned off the express button - which I know is not ideal - until a long term solution is worked out.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

It would seem to me that it's either caused by something to do with the visitor's address, or with how you've configured the product (ie: tax class you've given it).
    Does the tax get assessed the same on all these products if you use the check/moneyorder module to do payment (as a temporary test)?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi lat9 - yep searched hi and lo already - what "Similar Threads" are you referring too?
    From the image you posted, it looks like you (and your customer) added something to your cart while you were not checked in and then clicked the PayPal Express Checkout button while you were not logged in. Since you were not logged in, neither Zen Cart nor PayPal know where the product is being shipped to so that the information regarding taxes and shipping are not yet available.

Once you fill in the shipping-address details on PayPal, PayPal contacts your Zen Cart to determine the taxes and shipping information.

See this thread for more information: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...46#post1139546