Plugin Contributions

Default Title Tags/Meta Tag Titles... Confused

I have approx. 4,000 products and the title tags for the individual products are the same as the product title. Example:

MACKIE eau de toilette spray 1.7 oz by Bob Mackie for Women

I did not set this up anywhere, the product title is just mirrored in the title tag.

Now, I am setting up Meta Tag Titles and Descriptions, and for this product I decided to go with this for a title:

Mackie Perfume for Women by Bob Mackie | Free U.S. Shipping perfect at 65 characters.

However, I ended up with the original title tag and at the end of it, the Meta Tag title begins. So the Title Tag now looked something like this:

MACKIE eau de toilette spray 1.7 oz by Bob Mackie for Women Mackie Per...

I changed the Meta Tag Title to just this:

| Free U.S. Shipping

And that came out perfect for the title tag which now read:

MACKIE eau de toilette spray 1.7 oz by Bob Mackie for Women | Free U.S. Shipping (and the whole thing showed in the title tag).

My question is how will my Meta Tag Title read since it just contains the last few words of my title tag? I understand Google might change the Meta Tag Title at their discretion, but if I just had those words about shipping, I wouldn't even be considered.

Should I just leave out a Meta Tag Title altogether? I am using the words Free Shipping in my Meta Tag Description (as well as including my domain name which contains keywords), but I did like it in the Title as well.

BTW, my domain name has too many characters to even think of inclusion for branding purposes within the title.

Regarding Meta Tag Keywords, do I need to separate them with a comma?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Title Tags/Meta Tag Titles... Confused

Firstly, don't even bother with meta keywords. They have been completely ignored by search engines for almost a decade now. That tag is best left empty.

The TITLE tag can be configured MANUALLY or AUTOMATICALLY and there are many areas where you can manage this, such as in the admin where you can adjust the settings and in the storefront meta_tags.php file where you can adjust the code.

Additionally, if you want to know what google sees, call up any page and view its PAGE SOURCE. Whatever is in the header data of your page source is what Google will see.
    20 years a Zencart User