Plugin Contributions

Default Admin password reset

Running 1.5.0 on a new, clean install. Need to reset the admin p.w., but am not trusting the "Forgot p.w." routine in the admin login given the number of posts about it not working properly and I have NO desire (or skill) to go mucking about in SQL. I have noticed that the TOOLS > ADMIN SETTINGS link is missing from the Admin Home>Tools menu. Is this something that can be turned on/off or would it have to be hard-coded out of the menu? We do have the 90-day reset enabled for PCI compliance. Any help is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin password reset

Quote Originally Posted by FeelGoodWatches View Post
    have noticed that the TOOLS > ADMIN SETTINGS link is missing from the Admin Home>Tools menu.
    That menu option was relocated in v1.5.0 to a top-level menu: "Admin Access Management", which is "beside" the Tools menu, not "under" it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    That menu option was relocated in v1.5.0 to a top-level menu: "Admin Access Management", which is "beside" the Tools menu, not "under" it.
    OK. And what do I do if "Admin Access Management" isn't on the menu bar? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Then I've got to ask you what exactly is different between your site and mine, assuming I just downloaded a fresh copy of the v1.5.0 code and uploaded it to my server and ran zc_install and logged into my admin.
    How do I make mine look and behave just like yours?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Then I've got to ask you what exactly is different between your site and mine, assuming I just downloaded a fresh copy of the v1.5.0 code and uploaded it to my server and ran zc_install and logged into my admin.
    How do I make mine look and behave just like yours?
    That I can't tell you, as I did not do the install, but will need to change the password from time-to-time. I =could= use the Forgot PW in the log-in screen, but it just doesn't seem to be that robust and can cause errors which lead to not being able to log in. I can NOT have this happen as I'm in the catalog on a daily basis.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

So, is this all about a fear of passwords expiring unannounced?

If your fear is about the word "expire", then maybe it should have said "must be changed" instead of "will expire".

With computers and technology, the term "password expiry" has always meant "will need to be changed". Sorry if the wording has confused you.

Zen Cart will prompt you after the 90 day window passes, and tell you that you must change your password, and prompt you to do the change before it will let you continue with your login. Until then, simply go about your day happily using your store. It will prompt you in a friendly way when you need to change your password.

Plugin Contributions

If your fear is about the word "expire", then maybe it should have said "must be changed" instead of "will expire".

With computers and technology, the term "password expiry" has always meant "will need to be changed". Sorry if the wording has confused you.

Zen Cart will prompt you after the 90 day window passes, and tell you that you must change your password, and prompt you to do the change before it will let you continue with your login. Until then, simply go about your day happily using your store. It will prompt you in a friendly way when you need to change your password.
    I understand how the automatic prompting works, but what if we need to change the admin password in-between times due to an employee change. Don't know about you, but there's no way I'm not changing the p.w. when an employee leaves, even on good terms. Is it really that complicated that you have to go into the SQL manager to do so?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Well, first, you should be assigning each person their own username and password. That's a permission granted only to the SuperUser or other users who the superuser designates. This is all under the Admin Access Management menu.
    And then when an employee leaves the company, you simply delete their admin user account.

Next, when you're logged in, you can change the password to the user you're logged in as, simply by clicking on the "Account" link in the upper right corner, beside the Logoff link.

Plugin Contributions

Well, first, you should be assigning each person their own username and password. That's a permission granted only to the SuperUser or other users who the superuser designates. This is all under the Admin Access Management menu.
    And then when an employee leaves the company, you simply delete their admin user account.

Next, when you're logged in, you can change the password to the user you're logged in as, simply by clicking on the "Account" link in the upper right corner, beside the Logoff link.
    Hmmm. Makes me wonder if the guy that set up the account might have set this login up as a "normal" user level and not a Super User. Will have to ask. I do appreciate the info.