Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

xhtml problem Canadian Taxes Contribution

I was asked to place a support thread for Canadian Taxes even though it is pretty simple but here is the link to the mod:

http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1440

If there are any questions let me know.
    Windows, BSD, Linux, Cisco, Hardware & IT Security Tech
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting

Qdixon's Security Blog

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Canadian Taxes Contribution

Ah, to be clear. My client lives in Alberta so we only have to do the Alberta sql no matter who he sells to in Canada? We had the taxes set up correctly I thought but we just had a situation where they didn't all apply correctly and also weren't added into the total so thinking this is the better way to go.
    The full-time Zen Cart Guru. WizTech4ZC.com

Plugin Contributions

Correct. Just use the Alberta SQL and all the taxes will be setup according to a business running in Alberta.

Qdixon's Security Blog

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, what would I do without you? Have a good day.
    The full-time Zen Cart Guru. WizTech4ZC.com

Plugin Contributions

A nice, quick contribution that installed beautifully - but the problem is, merchants shipping to other provinces, do have to collect the customer's provincial taxes (ie: BC HST, etc). See http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/pag...ince_customers - but this contrib is only charging the originating store's taxes no matter where it is being shipped to.

Plugin Contributions

I am not sure if you are understanding it. Everything is as it should be. If you live in any HST province you charge HST for any other HST provinces as well. IF you live in a GST only province like Alberta, you DO NOT charge HST or PST for any other provinces.

As you may elect voluntarily to charge the taxes regardless, there is no legal requirement to do so.

The guide that you sited above applies to HST provinces charging other HST provinces taxes and this is already incorporated in the SQLs.

Qdixon's Security Blog

Plugin Contributions

I forgot to mention, this contrib is assuming that you have a store in only one province and not a chain store running in multiple provinces.

The golden rule is, if you have a actual store, office or company owned warehouse location in any province, you will need to charge the taxes for that province because you are doing said business WITHIN that province.

For example lets say I have a business in Ontario and a sales office Quebec... I would need to charge all taxes for Ontario and Quebec customers. If I only have a business in Ontario and I am shipping to Quebec, I charge only GST because I do not charge QST as that is the responsibility of the receiver to pay that. ( QST is NOT HST)

Before posting this contrib, it was approved by my Accountant, Lawyer and Revenue Canada.

Qdixon's Security Blog

Plugin Contributions

This is what I read and understand on the website: "When you sell and ship or deliver taxable goods and services to out-of-province/territory customers, the sales tax that applies in your customer's province or territory is generally applicable.
    When you ship to harmonized sales tax (HST)-participating provinces (British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Ontario), you are required to collect HST in the amount applicable to the province and include it in your GST/HST return. In this case, since you are already registered for GST, you are automatically registered for HST, even if you do not operate in an HST-participating province."

So the way I read it, an Albertan store shipping to a British Columbia customer, must collect BC's HST.

I'm sorry if I sound argumentative, but the quoted website is the Fed's site... and any time I have purchased anything from a major company online from another province, they charge me tax based on my shipping address in BC - ie: Alberta companies charge me BC HST even though the product is shipped from AB.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Sounds like you are seeking official tax advice. The right place to get such advice is via your Tax Accountant or your local tax office.

Any advice you receive here on this site is only opinion. You REALLY need to consult your local tax office, ideally the same place where you remit all the taxes you collect. And if you're not registered to collect and remit taxes, then you need to take care of that before you start collecting taxes in the first place ... and part of they'll be happy to explain to you exactly what you need to collect and how.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, there is a problem. It seems that I uploaded the WRONG contribution ZIP file after all. I just downloaded the one from the plugins and it is not correct and was old and was never the one that was intended to be uploaded.

I was arguing based on the version I was looking at not realizing needs_a_nap was looking at the old flawed one. The correct version should have a CRA PDF in it. (the old one doesn't and yes the rates are different)

Sorry everyone, my fault. Uploading now.

Qdixon's Security Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast