Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is it a good idea to use the existing Zen Cart app that comes with hosting servic

Oh and with tools such as WAMP XAMPP you can 'host' multiple sites on your p.c not just ZC. You can keep a working local copy of each version of your own site as it develops, simply create a new database (copy and rename it) each time to evolve your local site and set the configure files to point to the 'new' DB, copy and then rename the copy of the folder that houses all your store files within WAMP and voila you have 2 versions of your store, a work in progress and a benchmark original version. Sounds confusing but easy once you have done it once.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is it a good idea to use the existing Zen Cart app that comes with hosting servic

In general, the problem with "one click" installations is they are usually not the latest version. I found that out when I first started with Zen Cart. The hosting service I used at the time started offering it when I was looking for a cart program for a friend's site. I installed it, played with it a little, discovered this forum, realized I'd installed an old version, downloaded the latest version and installed it. Installing it yourself isn't that difficult if you're patient and follow the instructions. Most of us want to just dive in which usually only makes it more difficult on us.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    In general, the problem with "one click" installations is they are usually not the latest version. I found that out when I first started with Zen Cart. The hosting service I used at the time started offering it when I was looking for a cart program for a friend's site. I installed it, played with it a little, discovered this forum, realized I'd installed an old version, downloaded the latest version and installed it. Installing it yourself isn't that difficult if you're patient and follow the instructions. Most of us want to just dive in which usually only makes it more difficult on us.
    True, it's tempting to dive in but I think I would prefer the latest version...I might try to see if I can get it up on my test website on free hosting, if they allow it

Meanwhile they won't let me register my domain without giving them my business number, even though I ticked 'personal' website, not business. It won't actually be a business unless it works. I can't believe they rejected my domain pending my business details but took the money! Crap. I also tried to register it as a not for profit organisation and they rejected that too. What is up with that? I mean...aren't I allowed to register a personal domain? hmm

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picandnix View Post
    Oh and with tools such as WAMP XAMPP you can 'host' multiple sites on your p.c not just ZC. You can keep a working local copy of each version of your own site as it develops, simply create a new database (copy and rename it) each time to evolve your local site and set the configure files to point to the 'new' DB, copy and then rename the copy of the folder that houses all your store files within WAMP and voila you have 2 versions of your store, a work in progress and a benchmark original version. Sounds confusing but easy once you have done it once.
    Interesting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12