Plugin Contributions

Default USPS RateV3 vs. RateV4

I'm looking at the two USPS shipping modules in the Plugins section. RateV4 appears to have more options than the RateV3 module, but has an earlier date (29 Aug 2011 vs. 29 Feb 2012). I would like to use the features of the RateV4 module, but I want to make sure it's compatible with the new USPS rate structure.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: USPS RateV3 vs. RateV4

We've been using the RateV4 plugin and it sure helps since we filter by product volumes so that the FlatRate boxes are removed from the choices presented to the customer when the combination of products will no longer fit within the box. We are currently using it with 2 sites running zencart V1.3.9h. It seems to be funtioning in our V1.5 sandbox without any obvious issues.

That being said, there are is one glitch that is easily remedied and another that might not be an issue for you.

First class International: The USPS changed the terminology for in 2012. I don't remember which way but the word package changed to parcel or parcel changed to package. Make that change and the issue with International first class is corrected.

Domestic Regional C FlatRate boxes are not implemented because they were introduced in 2012. If you don't use them, then that will not be an issue.
    Flat Rate Express introduced a new addition in 2012 that is not implemented.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

RixStix.

Thanks for the info. As it turns out, I don't do a lot of international shipping, so the First class International change probably won't bother me. BTW, is this just a name/term change? If so, do I really need to change the file?

I don't use Domestic Regional C at all, so again, no problem.

I'm somewhat confused by your statement that Express Mail wasn't implemented. I looked at the types arrays in the usps.php file and Express Mail is defined for both domestic and international.

Anyway, thanks for the assist. I'll install V4 this afternoon and get it configured.

Regards,

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jimweinberg View Post

Thanks for the info. As it turns out, I don't do a lot of international shipping, so the First class International change probably won't bother me. BTW, is this just a name/term change? If so, do I really need to change the file?
    No need to change the file if you're not using FirstClassInternational. Yes, it was just a name change within the file in a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by jimweinberg View Post
    I'm somewhat confused by your statement that Express Mail wasn't implemented. I looked at the types arrays in the usps.php file and Express Mail is defined for both domestic and international.
    Sorry, I meant that new Express Mail options added in Jan 2012 have not been incorporated. Express Mail options that existed prior to Jan 2012 are fully functional.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Okay, thanks.

Plugin Contributions

jimweinberg,

Do you have this fully functional in a live 1.5 environment successfully or are you using 1.39?

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

I am currently using it in v1.3.9H sites.

It appears to be fully functional in my Sandbox v1.5 site. It is set to the USPS production server and I get rate quotes in the shipping estimator. I have installed the sql patch for volume based filtering but have not entered product test volumes.

One thing is that I installed the zen-cart dev team USPS module first which contains an English language file. This addon does not include a language file and I may be wrongfully assuming that there is no problem with using the Language file installed by the other version.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com