Plugin Contributions

bug Date.Timezone php.ini problems...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpinfo.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	10977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	10976Hi Guys,

I know that there has been a lot written about this already. But I have been beating myself for about 2 weeks (well during the evening), trying to do a first time install of Zencart 1.5.

I am running on a LAMP stack on Ubuntu 12.04. I have managed to configure Virtual Hosting to work. This is so that I can work with Joomla and Drupal for test sites and I was planning on doing the same with Zencart. Makes things a bit easier for me than having to hassle of using a test site online with all the permission issues etc..

Anyhow, I went through the install documentation and did everything mentioned pre-install - essentially renaming the dist-configure.php to configure.php. Hit the URL and got presented with the install screen. However when I click the hyperlink "click here to begin installation" (prosume that will install it for me) I get the following error:

Code:
    ERROR: date.timezone not set in php.ini. Please contact your hosting company to set the timezone in the server PHP configuration before continuing.
    I saw the post up on the ubuntu forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1703807) as well as the one on the zen forum (http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...-date-timezone).

I have tried at length to go through these, but they don't seem to make any difference. As near as I can see it I have set the date.timezone setting. I even went to the length of dumping a small file which runs the
    Code:
    php_info();
    function to see what I set. This shows the default timezone set as "Europe/London". As far as I can see it I have set it correctly in the php.ini (located at /etc/php5/apache2), I set it to:

Code:
    date.timezone = "europe/London"
    I have also tried adding it in the application_top.php file under zencart/includes. I included it in the file as follows:

Code:
    <?php

/**
     * application_top.php Common actions carried out at the start of each page invocation.
     * Initializes common classes & methods. Controlled by an array which describes
     * the elements to be initialised and the order in which that happens.
     * see {@link  http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/Developers_API_Tutorials#InitSystem wikitutorials} for more details.
     * @package initSystem
     * @copyright Copyright 2003-2011 Zen Cart Development Team
     * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
     * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
     * @version $Id: application_top.php 19731 2011-10-09 17:20:30Z wilt $
     */
    /**
     * inoculate against hack attempts which waste CPU cycles
     */
    @ini_set('date.timezone', 'Europe/London'); 

$contaminated = (isset($_FILES['GLOBALS']) || isset($_REQUEST['GLOBALS'])) ? true : false;
    $paramsToAvoid = array('GLOBALS', '_COOKIE', '_ENV', '_FILES', '_GET', '_POST', '_REQUEST', '_SERVER', '_SESSION', 'HTTP_COOKIE_VARS', 'HTTP_ENV_VARS', 'HTTP_GET_VARS', 'HTTP_POST_VARS', 'HTTP_POST_FILES', 'HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA', 'HTTP_SERVER_VARS', 'HTTP_SESSION_VARS');
    $paramsToAvoid[] = 'autoLoadConfig';
    $paramsToAvoid[] = 'mosConfig_absolute_path';
    $paramsToAvoid[] = 'hash';
    $paramsToAvoid[] = 'main';
    Has anyone got any ideas where I am going wrong or any log files I could try looking in? I attached a few screendumps to kinda show that I am not making it all up!

I would appreciate any help in advance because this is really starting to do my head in.

I like to think that I reasonably technically proffiant, I have moved and clonded drupal installs easily, and I have done the same thing with Joomla and I am not affraid to get my hands dirty. Beginning to doubt myself a lot at the moment...

...anyhow, thanks in advance of any posts / suggestions.

Mark.
    Last edited by b14speedfreak; 14 Aug 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Date.Timezone php.ini problems...

1. If that error message is being displayed, then the RUNNING instance of PHP does NOT have the value set in the MASTER php.ini configuration file.
    It is running a very simple PHP ini_get() function call to read it, and if it reads as blank then the error message is displayed. If the value is set and is the master configuration (not just a temporary setting in a localized custom php.ini or .htaccess) then it will be read as the actual value and not come back blank, and then the error message won't appear.

2. Fudging it by forcing an ini_set in application_top isn't really a good idea, especially if you only do it in the zc_install version of application_top as the links you referenced suggest doing (but which you didn't do: you touched a different file). By forcing it in a Zen Cart file you effectively place a bandage on a situation that will likely burn you later. Both of those articles point to editing a zc_install file, which ONLY tricks the installer. The installer is trying to HELP you by making sure you fix something IMPORTANT before you carry on. If you don't fix the timezone setting problem, then date calculations in your store will not work correctly and then you'll be back here with questions about bizarre situations that should never happen.

So, sure, if you want to merely bandage your Zen Cart instead of fixing your server, go ahead, be sure to fudge it in ALL the application_top files. But it's not the best solution. That's why all the help text and other articles advise to fix the problem on the server config, and not how to trick Zen Cart into thinking everything's just fine.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I don't mind going down the hard route of trying to make Zen Cart work. Thats not a problems to me. I just don't understand why when I altered it in the php.ini file located at /etc/php5/apache it did not accept it. Also, I have taken out the line in the application_top.php file and left in the line in php.ini file as previously mentioned. The installer still sticks.

The question I guess, is that I need to locate the master php.ini (which I thought I had done). I guess I shall have to try and work out how locate this some other way.

I understand where you are coming from with the application_top.php file point. Any ideas how I could locate the php.ini file that I am after?

Thanks again for the input, just feel like I am going mad with this...

Mark.

Plugin Contributions

ok so I figured it out. I was being a dumb arse - nothing new there. To be fair though, I don't feel like its 100% clear to be honest.

so under /etc/php5 I have 2 directories with php.ini files in them:

apache2
    apache2filter

Now I initially the apache2 php.ini file with the time zone. I figured that had sorted it out. It was only with the above post, that I noticed the second apache2filter with php.ini under it. I altered that file also, and hey presto...one install that looks like it might work and gets me past my error message.

I mean I may of been dumb, but I don't think that its all that obvious to be honest...but I guess I should have read a bit more...

...thanks again one and all for reading...have a good day, off to go and sand some boats for my money...

Mark.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Assuming your PHP skills are up to it, you could tell application_top to read the value and output it to you. You could do that for not only the timezone setting but also the ini filename. That way you'll know what Zen Cart is being handed when it asks for the information from PHP.

In my case, the output of phpinfo() tells me the same thing that Zen Cart tells me, which is also the same as what my php.ini is set to.
    I've no idea why yours is telling you something different, unless it's the wrong php.ini or the changes in that php.ini haven't taken effect because PHP/Apache haven't been restarted since the changes.

I've tried making mine do what you say yours is doing, and the only way I can break it is to put bad data in my php.ini file.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I guess we were typing at the same time.

Glad you got it sorted out!

Indeed, multiple configurations can be tricky to manage ;)

Plugin Contributions

Yeah, I guess thats the problem with virtual hosting. Sometimes its hard to figure out which php.ini file is being read. I guess thats really the route I should have gone down and researched. I guess its just been a while since I encountered such a message.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it a lot, especially when so much has already been written on the subject. As you say I guess your better off sorting it properly in the first place. I know with ini settings from previous tuning with drupal you can do it in the settings.php file. Its pretty common to do those changes there I think, especially if you don't have access to php.ini for whatever server reason.

Anyhow, thanks again,

Mark.