Plugin Contributions

help question UPGRADE FROM v.1.3.9h TO v.1.5.0 configure.php and dist-configure.php

The old store’s database that used Zencart v.1.3.9h has been backed up. Using the same old store’s database, I have ftp the v.1.5.0 directories and files for upgrade.

I copied the existing store’s (v.1.3.9h) includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php (which were edited for upgrading) and uploaded each one to the respective folder where the dist-configure.php file also resides.

After upgrading to v.1.5.0, should both the configure.php and dist-configure.php files in the separate folders (includes/ and admin/includes/) be retained?

My understanding is that for a fresh installation of v.1.5.0, the dist-configure.php files are renamed to configure.php after the successful installation.

What should be done to the copied (from the old store) configure.php files and dist-configure.php files after the upgrading has been completed?

Is it correct in using the configure.php from the existing store for the upgrading using the steps I have followed?

Thanks for the help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UPGRADE FROM v.1.3.9h TO v.1.5.0 configure.php and dist-configure.php

The old store and existing store mean the same.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UPGRADE FROM v.1.3.9h TO v.1.5.0 configure.php and dist-configure.php

Quote Originally Posted by CSPEN View Post
    What should be done to the copied (from the old store) configure.php files and dist-configure.php files after the upgrading has been completed?

Is it correct in using the configure.php from the existing store for the upgrading using the steps I have followed?

Thanks for the help.
    The steps you followed appear to be correct.
    The dist-configure files may be deleted, but there is no harm to be done by leaving them in place.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Rod for the response. However, I read somewhere that the configure.php of v1.5.0 and the configure.php of v1.3.9h are not the same.

Logically, the configure.php of v1.5.0 should be used since this is an upgrade. If I were to delete dist-configure.php, I would then be running the configure.php file for v1.3.9h. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Many thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Following the proper upgrade instructions in the docs folder of each zipped file will tell you that the only time you need to copy older or edit newer configure.php files is if the 1.5.0 installation fails to create the configure.php files.

You might want to read through those again. Trying to give cliff notes generally results in omissions. EVERY time I install or upgrade, I review the instructions and follow them to the letter. Using a cheat sheet, auto-installer, or any other "shortcut" just leads to hours spent trying to correct errors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

There are two possible answers:

SIMPLE APPROACH:
    For those scared of messing things up, and who don't care about getting their hands dirty and using the absolute latest and best, the solution is: just keep using the existing configure.php files.
    And delete the dist-configure.php files since you don't need them.

ADVANCED USERS:
    For those who really want the latest and greatest, you may want to use the new configure.php files generated by zc_install when you set up your test area. You'll need to edit the paths inside them to reflect the correct path after moving the test-environment files into your production folder.
    If you need to ask "what do I edit?" and haven't looked at the simple paths in the file and figured it out from that, then probably this approach is not for you.

The benefit of using the *new* files is simply that you will have a DB_CHARSET define, and your admin configure.php file will be structured in a way that allows you to rename your admin folder without having to edit the admin configure.php file as part of that renaming process.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Rod for the response. However, I read somewhere that the configure.php of v1.5.0 and the configure.php of v1.3.9h are not the same.
    Yes, that is correct.

Logically, the configure.php of v1.5.0 should be used since this is an upgrade.
    Also correct, but not strictly essential.

If I were to delete dist-configure.php, I would then be running the configure.php file for v1.3.9h. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Many thanks.
    Again, you are correct, BUT it appears that you may be under the impression that the 'dist-configure' files are being used at run time. This is not the case. It is only the 'configure.php' files that are being used, regardless of whether you copied/edited from your current installation or whether they were 'created' from the dist-configure files. Think of the dist-configure files as just a template that are used as a starting point when setting up a new server.

I think DrByte has provided the best explanation in post#6 because he clearly explains the difference between the two upgrade methods. Having said that, even though I consider myself an 'Advanced User', I am also quite lazy, and tend to take the 'simple approach'.

If there is a *good* reason to use the 'advanced method' it is something that I'm not aware of (other than the fact that it keeps the code changes up to date). I'm not aware of any security/functional issues caused by using the older configure files.
    Of course, there are a LOT of things that I'm unaware of, so this doesn't really mean a great deal. :)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Thanks DrByte and Rod for distinguishing the differences between the two approaches that can be used for upgrading. Anyone aware of statistics for user of 'SIMPLE APPROACH' and 'ADVANCED USERS' ?

To upgrade database using the 'ADVANCED USERS' method, is it correct to say that this method (I am talking about Upgrading only and NOT FRESH INSTALLATION) involves:

(1) renaming the admin/includes/dist-configure.php to configure.php and includes/dist-configure.php to configure.php

(2) edit the admin/includes/configure.php and includes/configure.php files to access the database?

(3) delete zc_install file after successfully completed the upgrading and

(4) rename the admin folder

If not, what should be the correct steps ?

This is the first time I am doing the upgrade, so very raw in this area.

I appreciate the reply.
    Last edited by CSPEN; 28 Aug 2012 at 05:22 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks dbltoe for the reply.

Plugin Contributions

Reply #8, please ignore the followings:

"Anyone aware of statistics for user of 'SIMPLE APPROACH' and 'ADVANCED USERS' ?

To upgrade database using the 'ADVANCED USERS' method, is it correct to say that this method (I am talking about Upgrading only and NOT FRESH INSTALLATION) involves:

(1) renaming the admin/includes/dist-configure.php to configure.php and includes/dist-configure.php to configure.php

(2) edit the admin/includes/configure.php and includes/configure.php files to access the database?

(3) delete zc_install file after successfully completed the upgrading and

(4) rename the admin folder

If not, what should be the correct steps ? "