Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

customer issue How to assign unique account numbers OR usernames?

I need to be able to assign my customers a "license number" for their account. So that each customer gets one unique (cannot duplicate) account number automatically generated when they register. Or, if this is not possible can each customer assign themselves a unique username and if they enter a username that is already in use it will bounce back and ask them to try again.

Any help with this will be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to assign unique account numbers OR usernames?

What purpose does this serve?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    What purpose does this serve?
    I sell digital art downloads for others to use so long as they have a valid license. I need to be able to issue a unique license to each customer, it lets me and others know that they purchased the art ligitimately and they didn't pirate my art. So I really NEED to be able to assign each of my customers a license number, it can be short, 5 digits preferably, and if you can help me or direct me to a mod that can give each customer a unique id number that would be very helpful

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Each customer in your store already has a unique identifier: their email address.

Is that usable for your needs?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

No, its really not. I need to assign short license number that my customers will display on the creations they make. I am one of many copyright compliant psp tube artists and my customers REQUIRE a license number as a terms of usage. For instance ©FourXDesigns www.fourxdesigns-store.com FXD79221 the FXD79221 part would be the computer generated portion that I would like, if possible, the zen cart interface to create.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Okay. And at what point should this be generated? Should it be generated for every customer, regardless of any purchases they've made?
    Should the "number" have any set formula or pattern?
    How should it be delivered to them? Perhaps in a "welcome email"?
    How should it be delivered to *you*?
    Does the store need to "remember" the code? Does it need to be displayed anywhere other than one-time when it is generated?

I could go on and on with a whole lot more questions about specifics of what your needs are. There's no point in me giving you a bunch of code that generates a number if there's no direction about what to *do* with that number. You'd just come back asking "where do I put that?" or "now how do I email it?", etc.

Can you continue with explaining the full big picture of what you're wanting to accomplish?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Okay. And at what point should this be generated? Should it be generated for every customer, regardless of any purchases they've made?
    Should the "number" have any set formula or pattern?
    How should it be delivered to them? Perhaps in a "welcome email"?
    How should it be delivered to *you*?
    Does the store need to "remember" the code? Does it need to be displayed anywhere other than one-time when it is generated?

I could go on and on with a whole lot more questions about specifics of what your needs are. There's no point in me giving you a bunch of code that generates a number if there's no direction about what to *do* with that number. You'd just come back asking "where do I put that?" or "now how do I email it?", etc.

Can you continue with explaining the full big picture of what you're wanting to accomplish?
    Ok, so a customer comes to my store, they must register before they can checkout. I would like a unique, random 5 digit number to be created at the time of registration that would be added to their customer field in the customer database so that I can know who has which specific license number, and also sent to each customer via welcome email once it is generated. Each customer only needs one license number regardless of the number of purchases they make, I undertand that if a customer would for some reason register two times they would be sent 2 license numbers via email. This 5 digit number should be random and unique for each customer as it serves as a "online proof of registration" that they are ligitimate customers and not digital image pirates. Much in the same way that a car license plate# cannot repeat with another car in that state, and should anouther car have the exact same license # as the next you would know that to be a red flag for fraud. These unique random licenses should not be listed anywhere in the store pages for customers to view, though it would not be harmful, it would be totally unnecessary. If a customer forgets or loses their unique number I can look in the customer database in the Zen admin and remind them of their number. I would prefer the license to be sent via email rather than just dispayed as a new page after registration because the customers wiill typically save this email on their personal email client.
    This whole processes is a critical step because of internet copyright infringement and people who pirate/rip digital images to use for profit elsewhere. My store sells digital image rights for hobbyists to use noncommercially in online forums, facebook, and such. Each image that they purchase comes with a Terms of Use which states a full copyright must be on every image they create using my art. Should two people attempt to use the same license number, I would be able to look in the customer database and say "Jane Doe has the right to use this image which she purchased on XX/XX/2012, and John Doe's image was fraud for he has no license nor has he ever made a purchase from my store." I personally draw every image in the store and its just as important to me as it is to my customers that every buys them ligitimately, and doesn't share images or license numbers with others. Fair is fair.
    I hope this is full enough a description. Its about protecting myself and protecting my customers because they will "brand" all of their creations with their unique license number before proudly displaying their images online. I know that the "Customer" panel shows "ID#", but a sequential 1+ digit license number would be insufficient, in the same way that no one has a 1 digit social security number.

Thanks again!!!!!

Plugin Contributions

Name:  4xs- jett banner.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  23.3 KB

I hope this works, but this is what I mean that my images are used for online forums. See the © at the bottom SHOULD have a license number following it. Because this image has no license number there is no way on earth for me to verify that the lady "image" in this tag was purchased legally. I made this myself for myself by the way, so no copyright infringement here! And nobody wants to put their email address or their full name on the bottom of their tags. One, that wouldn't be "pretty". Two, if they did, people would solicit them to make tags for them, which they may not want to do. And ending the © with "3" , well, that's just not proper tagging form. It needs a proper license number!

Plugin Contributions

I also wanted to add that I only have SOME programming knowledge so if I have to change files or add files, or download modules, etc. could you please provide the paths to where I can find those files or paths to where to put them. Thanks!

I use FileZilla ftp and notepad++ I run Zen Cart 1.5 my hosting is through godaddy and its Linux

Plugin Contributions

I know that the "Customer" panel shows "ID#", but a sequential 1+ digit license number would be insufficient, in the same way that no one has a 1 digit social security number.
    No matter how many digits the customer id has, it will always be unique and useable as a license identifier. If you don't want any one-digit licenses, create nine test customers and all of the real ones will have at least a two-digit id. If you want more digits to start, there will be a way to update the database with a specific number as a takeoff point.

This is not a "random 5-digit number", but it is useable for your customers and immediately available without a lot of custom coding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast