Plugin Contributions

Default Admin 404 Error After Install

I installed Zen Cart 1.5 on my host's server and when I tried to click on the admin page after completing the installation I received a 404 error. I did what was instructed on Zen Carts tutorial or installation and don't know what to do now.

Thanks
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin 404 Error After Install

If you downloaded the zip file containing all the Zen Cart files, and uploaded the unzipped files to your webserver, then after the zc_install process is done, your admin folder will be accessible by going to your_domain.com/admin/index.php ... and there you will get an alert screen telling you to rename your /admin/ folder to something else, so that people can't guess where it's located.

However, if you installed Zen Cart by clicking on some automated "1-click install" option provided by your hosting company, then you'll need to figure out what they renamed your admin folder to. Sometimes they'll tell you that new admin foldername. Some of them might ask you to type in a foldername during installation. Some of them just pick some random name. Some pick a name like zen_admin which is of course pointless cuz the whole idea of making it something people can't guess is useless if the auto-installer always uses the same name.
    Regardless, you'll need to find out what it is before you can access it.
    Use your FTP program to see what the foldernames are on your server.
    One very smart way to understand what you're looking at on your server is to download the original Zen Cart zip file, unzip it, and look at the file structure. Especially look inside the unzipped admin folder, and then look for the folder on your server that has the same contents.

Then once you know the name of your admin folder, visit that URL using your browser, and you'll be able to login to your store's admin area.
    If you're still lost, talk to your hosting company, since they're best equipped at helping you with the tools that their servers are installing for you.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out late last night.

Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by firstcapitalfirearms View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I figured it out late last night.

Thanks again.
    And the accepted response is to let others know what you did to fix it so they might learn from your experience.

Plugin Contributions

Honestly I have no idea. I uninstalled ZC and then reinstalled it. Everything worked then.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

I installed as directed, got the 404 error message, re-installed got the 404 error message, and then used the your_domain.com/admin/index.php and I still get the 404 error message. Please help.

Thanks you.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

A 404 means "not found".
    You need to use the name of a folder that *does* exist. So if your "admin" folder was renamed to something else, you'll need to use that "else" foldername instead.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.