Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default "Unable to connect to database" when pressing Save System Settings

Installing 1.5.1 on a linux machine. Install goes smoothly thru Database setup. It is able to connect to the database at that point and I can see in phpMyAdmin that all the tables are created in my database after hitting save. It then moves to System Setup tab and I leave the defaults which all match ok and leaves SSL off. When I hit save I get an all white page with nothing but the words

Unable to connect to database

in the upper left corner. When I hit back it goes to a page cannot be displayed and hitting refresh takes me to a page that says the following:

Problem Detected

Sorry, a problem has been detected.

This installer needs to be able to start a PHP session in order to complete installation.

Possible causes of this page being displayed include:

Perhaps a timeout has occurred
    If you left the installation unattended more than 20 minutes, then the information you entered on previous screens is no longer available. In this case, you will need to begin the installation process again.

Please do not leave the installation process unattended for long lengths of time. Installation should only take 5 minutes under normal circumstances.

The server has no place to write its session files.
    If you have not already made the "cache" folder writable, please do so now so the installer can continue. Details on making the files writable can be found in the Installation Instructions or in the online FAQs.

PHP sessions might not be functional on your server
    In order to use Zen Cart®, you will need to be able to use the "session" capabilities of PHP. It could be that your server configuration is not currently allowing PHP sessions to start and interact properly. Also, if you have session cookies disabled in your browser, you will not be able to use PHP session support. Please turn off cookie-blocking tools in your browser and firewall as a precaution.

You may need to talk to your webserver administrator for assistance in ensuring that PHP sessions can be configured and used on your site.

None of the items in the checklist apply.

Any ideas? TIA

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: "Unable to connect to database" when pressing Save System Settings

Maybe it wasn't able to write to the /includes/configure.php file correctly, or cannot read the file's contents back in again?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Maybe it wasn't able to write to the /includes/configure.php file correctly, or cannot read the file's contents back in again?
    I checked both of the configure files and the parameters for the inputs I had to enter were all correct. Not sure about other parameters but the database login and host info for example was good.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Very bizarre.

Click Reply below and review the questions mentioned in the Posting Tips box and answer the relevant bits, in addition to mentioning more info about your "linux machine" including what operating system/version it's using, what PHP version it's using, mysql version, phpmyadmin version, how your LAMP stack was installed, how you've customized (if at all) the php.ini and my.cnf files, and more.

Your symptoms all sound very much environmental and unlike what would be typical of a commonly configured production webserver.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Very bizarre.

Click Reply below and review the questions mentioned in the Posting Tips box and answer the relevant bits, in addition to mentioning more info about your "linux machine" including what operating system/version it's using, what PHP version it's using, mysql version, phpmyadmin version, how your LAMP stack was installed, how you've customized (if at all) the php.ini and my.cnf files, and more.

Your symptoms all sound very much environmental and unlike what would be typical of a commonly configured production webserver.
    OK some of those answers will have to wait till monday because my host set up the server and I dont know the specifics. All the minimum requirements and versions were met and exceeded and green checkmarked during the install check. I am going to try a previous version in the meantime and see what goes down.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You wrote your post in a way that sounded like you were self-hosting it on your own computer.

Who's the hosting company? (that's one of the Posting Tips questions I was referring to).
    Is the Posting Tips box not showing up for you?

Plugin Contributions

You wrote your post in a way that sounded like you were self-hosting it on your own computer.

Who's the hosting company? (that's one of the Posting Tips questions I was referring to).
    Is the Posting Tips box not showing up for you?
    Well I'm in the middle of self hosting somewhere. My friend has a collocated server and I have an account on it. So theres no hosting company, but I didnt do the installs. He did everything from OS isntall to apache and php.

Plugin Contributions

Here are some of the answers to your questions:
    Name:  Untitled6.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  43.5 KB

Plugin Contributions

OK 1.3.9 install gives the same error at the same spot. Is able to create the DB tables with no problem during Database set up but System setup leads to that page. Is there a log that will have any info about what is happening?

Plugin Contributions

I PM'd a private video showing the situation. Not sure if it sent because I cant find the sent folder in the private messages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast