Plugin Contributions

Default Safety of installing on a production shared hosting account with GoDaddy?

Hi all,

This is my first posting. I have a production site with an SSL certificate with GoDaddy that must remain up and running at all times. I would like to start experimenting with Zen Cart--especially since there's an automated install feature GoDaddy provides--in this environment, but I can't afford to break anything! Could someone please advise as to the level of dangerousness of adding Zen Cart to my mix. (I am mainly interested in keeping my Moodle 2.3.2 installation humming away.)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Safety of installing Zen Cart on a production shared hosting account with GoDadd

Yes it is possible...should you do it? No! Not unless you are a pro, that's my opinion.
    Firstly the best way to get your head around how ZC works is to download the zip and open it on your computer. Look through the folder structure to understand s little of how ZC is built. A great way to build is to create a localhost version of your future store using LAMPP, WAMP, MAMP etc.
    If you would rather go ahead and just get started live then still unzip to your computer but then do a manual upload via ftp rather than an automated method as these are well known for going wrong...
    Load your file/folder structure into a sub domain folder of yore current site e.g.. www.mystore.com/testarea and if you need then password protect it.
    Always create backups before editing files! And create regular database backups too.
    Finally the forums are full of very helpful folks so just ask if stuck once you've tried searching for answers. Enjoy.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Safety of installing Zen Cart on a production shared hosting account with GoDadd

"SSL certificate with GoDaddy" plus the "automated install feature that GoDaddy provides" is an instant recipe for disaster.

I honestly can't think of a worse combination/method of installing ZenCart.

My advice is to do a manual install. At least that will give you a fighting chance.

Cheers
    Rod