Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Yet Another Overrides Question

I've (finally) followed the chart and made CUSTOM folders everywhere I saw a CLASSIC folder. I have also made changes to some other folders. I think most of them are template related. I found some here:

/includes/languages/piccadilly_posh/>english.php

/includes/languages/english/piccadilly_posh>button_names.php

/includes/template/template_default/css >stylesheet.css

and I'm pretty sure there are others. Where would I put the CUSTOM folder when I don't have the CLASSIC folder as a guide?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Yet Another Overrides Question

If you don't see a /classic folder, there is no override available in that area. On the rare occasions I find it necessary to make changes to core files, I create an override file anyway and keep a copy of my modified file in it. That way when I upgrade/update, I can find the changes I made and duplicate them.

You shouldn't be creating a custom folder in the /template_default folder. You should create it at the level above that, so it would be includes/templates/piccadilly_posh/css/stylesheet.css

includes/languages/piccadilly_posh/english.php and /includes/languages/english/piccadilly_posh>button_names.php apeear to be created corroctly.

What are you trying to do that requires changing files where no override is available?
    Last edited by afo; 24 Oct 2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

This is what is inside my /includes/templates folder:

classic
    custom
    includes
    piccadilly_posh
    template_default

Two questions:

1) Am I supposed to have an includes folder in there?

2) When I make a change to /includes/templates/piccadilly_posh/css/stylesheet.css am I making the modifications directly to that stylesheet, or in the CUSTOM folder in the /includes/templates folder mentioned above?

Thank You.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by traytray View Post
    1) Am I supposed to have an includes folder in there?
    Nope.

2) When I make a change to /includes/templates/piccadilly_posh/css/stylesheet.css am I making the modifications directly to that stylesheet, ...?
    Yes. Once you have your template folders in place, your edits go in them and only in them (unless you really must make a change to a core file.) So in general your changes would go in the files in your piccadilly_posh folders. And in this specific case, your stylesheet changes are done in your ../includes/templates/piccadilly_posh/css/stylesheet.css file.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Should I just delete that includes folder?

You didn't say anything about the CUSTOM folder in includes/templates. Did you mean I should make changes to includes/templates/custom or DIRECTLY to the stylesheet?
    Last edited by traytray; 25 Oct 2012 at 01:49 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Should I just delete that includes folder?
    That depends on why it's there. If it's there because you installed a mod by dragging the includes folder containing the mod into the templates folder by mistake, then you need to look in that includes folder to see which mod you need to reinstall correctly. Then you can delete it.

You didn't say anything about the CUSTOM folder in includes/templates. Did you mean I should make changes to includes/templates/custom or DIRECTLY to the stylesheet?
    Within the templates folder the CUSTOM folder contains a template. The CLASSIC folder contains a template. The piccadilly_posh folder contains your template. (I assume that's why it's there.) Ignore the CUSTOM and CLASSIC folders and concentrate on the piccadilly_posh folder. When you have made your changes and selected the piccadilly_posh template in admin, Zen Cart will pay no attention to the CUSTOM or CLASSIC folders. It will get everything it needs from the piccadilly_posh folder (for the customized files) and the template_default folder (for any needed files that have not been customized.) If you have created folders named CUSTOM elsewhere in the file structure, but are going to use piccadilly_posh as your template, go and rename those other CUSTOM folders wherever they are to piccadilly_posh.

The templates/overrides system is all explained by the experts in the FAQ.

Rob
    Last edited by rstevenson; 25 Oct 2012 at 02:50 AM.

Plugin Contributions

You said:

"If you have created folders named CUSTOM elsewhere in the file structure, but are going to use piccadilly_posh as your template, go and rename those other CUSTOM folders wherever they are to piccadilly_posh."

So for example the CUSTOM folder I made in /includes/languages/english and named /custom_english should be changed to /piccadilly_posh_custom_english?

Plugin Contributions

No, you should have 2 custom folders in the /includes/languages/ folder.
    1. includes/languages/piccadilly_posh (which contains a copy of english.php)
    2. includes/languages/english/piccadilly_posh (which contains your modified versions of any files in /includes/languages/english such as index.php, meta_tags.php and header.php)
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I finally understand. I only want to clear up the following:

When I make changes to english.php do I modify the one in includes/languages/piccadilly_posh ONLY?

I see a Classic folder in includes/languages/english/modules/order_total

Should I make an overrides folder named piccadilly_posh in there? Same for Payment and Shipping folders.

Plugin Contributions

I finally understand. I only want to clear up the following:

When I make changes to english.php do I modify the one in includes/languages/piccadilly_posh ONLY?
    Yes

I see a Classic folder in includes/languages/english/modules/order_total

Should I make an overrides folder named piccadilly_posh in there? Same for Payment and Shipping folders.
    Yes... but the folders are only used when you have a modified file to place into them. Your "custom" folders can be there, but can remain empty.

QUICK TUTORIAL...

Right now, here is your file structure for TEMPLATE FILES:

includes/templates/classic/templates/

includes/templates/piccadilly_posh/templates/

includes/templates/template_default/templates/

Lets say (for example) that you wanted to make changes to a file called "tpl_modules_create_account.php"

The CORE FILE (original code file) is at:

includes/templates/template_default/templates/tpl_modules_create_account.php

So you COPY that file, by sending it FTP to your hard drive. It is GOOD PRACTICE to have a "mirrored copy" of your site's files on your hard drive).

Once in your hard drive, you open it for editing and make the changes you require.

Then, you FTP it to the CUSTOM folder, or OVER-RIDES folder, or to the "YOUR_TEMPLATE" folder (they are called all these names on this forum).

So it will be sent to:

includes/templates/piccadilly_posh/templates/tpl_modules_create_account.php

The ORIGINAL FILE (which is UN-EDITED) still resides in its CORE FOLDER
    The EDITED FILE (which you have changed) now resides in the OVERRIDE FOLDER

CORE: includes/templates/template_default/templates/tpl_modules_create_account.php
    CUSTOM:includes/templates/piccadilly_posh/templates/tpl_modules_create_account.php

Now... zencart works out what file to use by looking for files FIRSLY in any "over-ride folder".

If it finds the file in the over-ride folder, it will load and use that file.

If it DOES NOT find a file in an over-ride folder, it then goes to the DEFAULT folder, and uses the original file.
    20 years a Zencart User

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast