Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so I d-loaded this cart got it installed and now I can't get this thing to do anything I want it to do. I can't get any template to work, I either get a blank page or I only get the BG color, I followed every instruction I could find and nothing has changed. I can't get any file that I alter for the classic page to change any message or colors. I use dreamweaver and I do have experenice with CSS and HTML. WHY CAN'T I GET ANYTHING TO WORK. I just want this page to match my domain page so it doesn't look like you've went to a 3rd party e-commerce vendor when someone goes to purchase items from our store.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

A link to your site would be useful...

Plugin Contributions

Excuse the ignorance but I don't understand how a link to my site would help explain why any of my attempts to change CSS and HTML or load new templates has failed

Plugin Contributions

The more experienced members of the forum can usually spot problems that to a neophyte might not be obvious. But without a link to your site, we're just guessing. (Guessing=wasting our time and yours)

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Ok www.therealdealoutdoors.com/stores/zen/zen1

I haven't put any thing on here yet due to the issues. I did figure out the little stuff like removing the content boxes on the left and right but some of them I may use once I figure out how to get my CSS and HTML settings to take. Once I have the design I want then I'll add my product. No point in getting a head of myself. Also could it be were I'm using dreamweaver to modify the files instead of notepad++.

Plugin Contributions

Unless you are REALLY good at Dreamweaver, it's not a good idea to use it with php. I have many years of experience with Dreamweaver and wouldn't dream of using it to work on Zen Cart.

Your experience level you listed is not uncommon to those venturing into the ZC arena. And, as many of us did before you, you seem to be saying "I can make this work my way." Or, "I'll just throw in some html here and there then it will work."

I came to Zen Cart with twenty years of programming almost everything but PHP. Hardest thing for me to do was slow down, read the docs/FAQs/tutorials, and learn what was fixed/changed where. Eight years later, I still learn something most every day by helping in the forum.

I liken it to my Air Force career. When landing in a new country, we each had our list of important words to learn. Some wanted a beer while others wanted water. Some wanted steak while others wanted fish. Some wanted.....well, you get the idea. There's that transition time when you will need to find out what is the equivalent in Zen Cart code for something you're already familiar with.

The only thing I can find outside the standard Zen Cart in your example is the monetary attribute for the Archery site. Attributes would normally be something like size, color, left- or right-hand, etc. You can use the attributes to charge more for a 3XXX and less for an Extra Small, but I don't know why you have added a pre-selected button in the amount of $50 to a $180 item.

Perhaps a look at the FAQ for template creation and a look at a visualization of the override system will help you with your template problems. As with many items in Zen Cart, templates are turned on or off in the admin.

Also, the better the description you give to us about "I can't get this thing to do anything I want it to do" will only help us to better help you.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rdo2012 View Post
    ... once I figure out how to get my CSS and HTML settings to take.
    I think there may be a problem there, at least there is if you're expecting to find any HTML to edit.

Zen Cart assembles the HTML for the browser by pulling info from the database and then picking up code from PHP files and putting it all together. So the HTML you see exists only in the browser. Despite that you can do a huge amount of customizing via the admin interface and the stylesheet. Then, if you're still stuck trying to get something to look the way you want it, ask specific questions and we can help.

You might also want to try a free template or two to improve the look of the site at minimum effort. Have a look at (sorry, site offline)/ Pick one with the features you want, then customize its appearance via the stylesheet. You'll also learn something about the ZC templating system by just trying one or two of them.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Dbltoe ... sorry for the ignorance I have been fighting with getting this e-commerce up and going for a while and top that with working 12 and 16 hour days at work and it makes it hard to think clearly ... the $50 thing was me playing with and trying to figure out the attributes and I need to remove that. the biggest thing I'm wanting to do is just try and match the look of ZC as close as I can to the domain www.therealdealoutdoors.com mostly just wanting the BG image and some CSS color changes and every time I try to make a change to the stylesheet and reload it nothing changes. I do have some time under my belt with DW but not as much as you. The only thing I was using DW for was to edit the stylesheet itself but if you think that may be the problem I can use notepad++ and try it that way. The other problem I'm having is with the templates. They show up on the admin template select menu but when I update to a different template I either get a blank screen in the browser or I only get the BG color of the template. When I get home this evening I'll check out the link you left me. Thanks for all the help and after I check out the info if I have any more question or problems I'm sure you guys will hear from me.

Plugin Contributions

One other thing ... The most important thing I need right now is when I post the archery sights I need to be able to list options for color, pin size, right or left handed, lens kits etc. and with some of these sights the options come at an additional cost and basically what I'm wanting hear is just the ability to add drop down menus or some way to select the options the customer wants. The others would be more or less selecting length and color for stabilizers and so forth. Any help in pointing me the right direction for FAQs or info on doing that would be great also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast